Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: terminal services

terminal services

Hello everybody. I've been at my new helpdesk job here for about three weeks now. Before the last guy left he had informed me that about six computers needed to be fixed because they couldn't connect to the termianl server with a terminal session anymore. He said it was do to the latest windows update (internet explorer 6). I am wondering if anybody else has heard of this happening. Also, how come it only had this affect on 6 of the 50 computers who had the same update in this company? Thanks everybody.

Baller360

This problem can occur if the server has been booted by using the Last Known Good Configuration option more than once. When the server has been booted into the last known good configuration more than once, the ControlSet001 registry key is deleted. However, the following registry value is hardcoded to use the ControlSet001 registry key

some more info about the setup would help
    Want my weapons molon labe

As far as I know the problem isn't with the server, its with the client computers. What info on the setup would you like?

Baller360

The Internet explorer 6 update (which these computers proably have but the others don't ) blocks access to the active x controls TSAC uses to connect to the Terminal Server. You need to downlaod and install new active x controls on the web server.

Look here for details:
    Q328002

Good Luck
    Ferengi Rules of Acquistion:
    Rule # 47
    Don't trust a man wearing a better suit than your own.

Thank you very much. From the link you gave me, it looks like I need to edit the ASP files. Does anybody know where they are located? What they are? or Which ones to change? I'm asuming they're on the terminal server, but where? Thanks guys.

Baller360

The ASP pages are on the web server, ( as pointed out in the MSKB article) which may or may not be the same box as the terminal server.

Hope this helps
    Ferengi Rules of Acquistion:
    Rule # 47
    Don't trust a man wearing a better suit than your own.

Thread Information