Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Hard disk problem

Angry Hard disk problem

I have 2 hard drives in my PC and i recently installed windows 2000 professional. I previously had win98 and both hard drives were detected on that, now on win2k only one of them is detected. Neither my floppy drive or one of the hard drives is detected. I can't seem to figure out what the problem is, i've made sure everything is connected properly but the still the problem remains!?

I would be really greatful if someone could shed some light on my situation, thanks in advance!

Welcome to PCGuide!!

I will start the discussion, but I am not sure of the answer. I believe the problem is that Win2000Pro installs the NTFS file system and this won't work with a FAT32 drive. I am not sure what to do about it either, but others will know more and give you answers.

Good luck,
    Budfred

Detected where, in Windows or by BIOS?

If it is by Windows what does device manager say, any conflicts or errors?

If it is by BIOS are both drives set to autodetect?
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

4. I sometimes had that kind of problem but it is only when i put a superslow cdrom in my pc...

Is your hardware compatible with Windows 2000?

I read a while back that Windows NT was not designed to be "backward compatible" with "legacy devices". "Backward Compatibility" was NOT one of its features.
    This is not my subject but isn't 2000 an update of NT?
    Last edited by Sylvander; 10-21-2002 at 07:30 AM.

Thread Information