Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Recording spoken words to a CD-ROM

Recording spoken words to a CD-ROM

Let's say a techer would like to record their lecture or class discusion or a poem or a speech or any other spoken words.

How could this be accomplished?

Do you need seperate software to record the sounds whatever they may be and then burn them onto a CD-ROM?

Please advise.

I assume you could you a microphone into to the sound card, but what would capture the sound and save it in the apporpriate format so you could burn it onto a CD to be played in a PC or any other CVD player?

Thanks to all in advance for your help with this issue....

Michael

Hi!

You could simply plug a mic into your soundcard and use Windows "Sound Recorder" to record the poem etc.

A file would be created with a .wav extension (wave file) which you could then burn straight onto a CD and listen to using a standard CD player.

Wave files are generally quite large, so you might consider converting these files into mp3 format. You could still burn the mp3's onto a cd and play on a PC. Many newer CD players can play mp3.

Converters found at www.download.com - search for "wav to mp3"

Slim

The Cracked Windshield State aka Colorado
    If I'm not mistaken Windows sound recorder will only record very short recording something like 5 seconds. Ther are registry tweaks that get around that but you might as well get a program like Musicmatch which has a good recording program. As far as the cd-rom thing is concerned, I would record to a hard drive first and then burn as .wav or convert to .mp3 first.
    Ask me no questions I'll tell you no lies

If I remember correctly to extend the time of Sound recorder, run it for the default time (60secs), making sure there is no background noise, and when it finishes press the record button again straight away and the time will double to 120secs. Keep doing this but nit sure how many times you can do this. When you have reached the required time legnth click onto the back button and record your sound over the extended time.

EDIT:_
    Have just been in Core Hardware http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread...threadid=18167 and there is a link put up by Vic970
    http://failsafe.itgo.com/
    this page has an Audio recorder on it at the bottom
    Last edited by ErnieK; 11-09-2002 at 03:24 PM.
    Ernie

The difference between perseverance and obstinancy is that one is made from strong will, and the other from strong won't
    Henry Ward Beecher
    Do you have reading problems? Don't let it deter you. This is what YOU can do if you try http://www.erniek.eclipse.co.uk

Some sound cards, especially Sound Blaster, come with their own sound recorder which will record for any length of time, only limited by the free space on your hard disk.

Also there are stand alone programs with recorders such as Sound Forge.

All recorders give you a .wav file which can then be used to create an audio CD using any CD burning software.
    Sandman

Thread Information