Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: can a virus infect read-only files ?

can a virus infect read-only files ?

if we change the attributes of all files as Read-Only, then can a virus infect these files ?

...coz as per my limited knowledge, read-only files cant be altered.

assume that a virus can't change the attributes of files ....coz then only i will get the answer to my question !

TIX, rahul.

Not going to say it is impossible for a virus to infect a read only file, just more difficult, but major portions of Windows will not work if all the files are set to read only......so changing everything to read only will only break the OS.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

so changing everything to read only will only break the OS.

... thanks for replying.

If a programmer can change the attributes then, ipso facto, so can a virus.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Thread Information