Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: overclocking crash

overclocking crash

Periodically, my computer will reboot by itself and the message comes up "crashed by overclocking." What does that mean? How can I fix it?

It sounds like your computer is overclocked, meaning that the CPU is set higher than it is specified to be set. This can cause an unstable system and that appears to be the case for you. You need to find out what your CPU is actually supposed to be set for and chance the settings in BIOS or possibly by jumpers on the motherboard. Other than popping the lid and actually looking at the CPU, I am not sure how to tell what it should be, but someone else here probably does, so.... have a seat in the waiting room please.

Budfred

Will the book that came with my motherboard tell me what it should be set at?

most bios, if not all of them, have a setting to reset the defaults. applying this setting will reset the cpu as well as any other adjustments made in the bios back to whatever the default is. This will usually set the cpu to it's correct setting. Once you do that and your pc stops rebooting itself, get a program like sisoft sandra and it will tell you every little detail about your system, including what cpu you have. If you need more specific help, knowing the type of bios you have you be useful (such as "Award")

If you struggle with the manual...

Let us know what the motherboard and processor is and someone here will loook for the manual on-line to give you a hand. OK, back to the waiting room please...
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

If the clock speed is set by jumpers on the motherboard, resetting to defaults in the BIOS may not solve the problem. However, if you have the manual, it should tell you whether or not there are jumpers to worry about.

Budfred

You can bring down the multiplier ratio by adjusting the jumper settings. Anything below the maximum rating of the processor will do no harm to the processor. Also 50-100Mhz above the threshold is Okey.

Sounds liek you need one beast of a copper cooler
    -----
    Wheres the power switch again??

anywhere I roam, where I lay my head is home, yeah!
    "crashed by overclocking." What does that mean? How can I fix it?
    When and where do u see this message? The operating system gives you the message or the BIOS boot up screen.
    I don't think any microsoft operating system will give you such a friendly message for a overclocking crash.

It might be that overclocking is no problem at all in your case. It could be some funky virus/utility installed by your pet dog thats annoying you. I've not seen pc's rebooting due to overclocking, lock ups are usual but rebooting!!!??? Scan your drive for viruses.

Well, if its overclocking, make sure that no overclocking utilities are being loaded with windows eg, SoftFSB, CpuFsb which changes the FSB multiplier. Run any task manager and see if one of 'em is running or run "msconfig" and see what are being loaded with windows.

You can check the CMOS setup to bring down the CPU FSB Clock/disable any overclocking or do as gopi_vs said if the problem actually is overclocking.
    Last edited by CuratoR; 12-10-2002 at 01:32 AM.
    In the land of Seatle, by the fires of Microsoft, the dark lord Bill Gates forged in, secret, a master OS, to controll all PCs.
    And into this OS he put his greed, his malice and his will to dominate all computer media.
    One OS to rule 'em all.

If it is XP it can reboot....XP can be set to reboot instead lock up and die.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

anywhere I roam, where I lay my head is home, yeah!
    Oh! I didn't know that.
    In the land of Seatle, by the fires of Microsoft, the dark lord Bill Gates forged in, secret, a master OS, to controll all PCs.
    And into this OS he put his greed, his malice and his will to dominate all computer media.
    One OS to rule 'em all.

Thread Information