Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: cannot install win98

cannot install win98

hello there,
    i have just puchased a new system but have been unable to succesfully install windows 98. during the hardware detection part of the windows 98 setup, i recieve an illegal operation message saying Msgsrv32 has caused a general protection fault in module KRNL386.EXE. if i restart the computer from the hard disk i just get the blue screen saying windows has caused a fatal exception. i have formatted the HD and tried to reinstall several times but had the same result. i've managed to get into safe mode but can't see how this really helps.
    i really don't know what to try anymore. is there some way to solve this or have i got to accept there might be a hardware problem and take the damn thing back?
    any advice is greatly needed and appreciated.
    cheers for listening

HERE is a link to a M$ knowledge base article describing the problem and fix.

Hope it helps...

As was suggested to me here previously, try removing all unnecessary hardware - modem, network, sound, etc. If you are then able to install windows, try adding your devices back in one at a time.

try to change your ram to another slot. the old slot might be spoilt.

Thread Information