Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: I.E. & O.E. - Different versions!

I.E. & O.E. - Different versions!

I did a full re-installation of Windows 98SE, loaded Internet Explorer 6 from a recent magazine cover-disk, then did a Microsoft Update scan to download all the critical updates - including I.E Service Pack 1.
    Although my installation history states that the Service Pack is installed, when I do another scan Microsoft Update still says I require it.

Not only that, but I have noticed that my Outlook Express is version 5.
    How do I correct this?

FIXED IT!!

Not without a slight problem though. I read that, unless O.E. is ticked, one can end up (like me) with different versions.
    Anyway I went to the Microsoft site, downloaded the small setup file, then selected the required item. It said I had to rebbot.
    A reboot later, it told me it couldn't start the download until I cleared my browser cache. Having done that, it said I needed to reboot again, and clear my browser cache again, and reboot again.
    Talk about going round and round in circles!
    My only option was to go for the full package which, luckily enough, included currently installed components, so it wasn't that big. At least it didn't install the latest (bloated) Windows Media Player. Don't know why, as it was listed in the package.

Thread Information