Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Need some help

Need some help

I am new to this forum, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. I am trying to scan typewritten pages into my computer so that I can put them into the microsoft word processor program. I have tried many different ways, but cant find any that will allow me to open a scanned page in the program. I have about 100 pages that I have to edit and I dont want to type the all into the program. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

You probably need an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) program such as Paper Port.
    There are others, OmniPage and FineReader are two more.
    They convert the scanned files into Word, Exel, and others.

Many scanners come with some sort of OCR software included, what scanner are you using?
    Last edited by PrntRhd; 04-12-2004 at 03:31 PM.

Hi zr67. And welcome to The PcGuide forums.

If you have office XP or office 2003, you already have OCR. Look in all programs for 'Microsoft Office Tools' then 'Microsoft Office Document Imaging'. After you scan it into document imaging, click 'select all' or click and drag over only what you want, then 'copy text'. Then you can paste into any office program.

Look here for exact instructions.

If you don't have office XP or 2003, I am not sure if it is in the earlier versions. Won't hurt to look.

If not, then as PrntRhd said, maybe your scanner software has OCR.

Hope this helps.

jlreich

Thank you both for your replies. I did search and do not have any office programs so I guess I'll have to purchase some software.

Did your eMachines come with any software like WordPerfect Suite or MS Works?

Yes, it has ms works.

Ron

Yes, it has ms works
    Then an OCR program should convert to Word in Works.
    What scanner are you using, and did it come with OCR software?

I have a Microtek 4800 and no, it did not come with any ocr programs.

At one time I had a Microtek ScanMaker 4800 which seems to be the model you are using. On the front display panel of my scanner there were five buttons. The fourth button from the left automatically scanned the document in OCR mode.

Therefore assuming your Scanner software is ScanWizard 5.0 or later you should be able to use OCR.

I no longer have the scanner or instruction manual so I cannot be more precise but I hope the above information points you in the right direction.

BTW the reason I now longer have the scanner is that it caused me too many problems with my OS which is XP Home.

Edit: Have just noticed that PrntRhd mentions in his post FineReader. In my case ABBYY FineReader came with the scanner as part of the software bundle.
    Last edited by nedah; 04-13-2004 at 12:00 PM.

Per this link, your scanner has integrated OCR like nedah suggests.

Thank you all for your help. It probably would be easier if I would read some of the info in the manuals. Yes my scanner does have OCR, but who whould have thought that a T stood for OCR. It seems to do what I want with a lot of editing. Thanks again for all your help

It's OK, sometimes it is simple things you need reminded of, sometimes it gets very complicated. With 12,818 registered users on the forums looking over your shoulder someone usually will pick up on what you missed. Glad we could assist.

Thread Information