Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: IBM thinkpad won't boot up

IBM thinkpad won't boot up

My IBM thinkpad T20 won't go over the "IBM thinkpad screen" when starting up, I hit F1 or F12 and nothing comes up.
    The hard drive won't kick in and I don't know what to do or what to fix....can anybody help please.

I appreciate your feedback and help,

Samy

Hi Samyt and welcome to the .
    Well, we need a bit more info. Was it working before? What was done before this happened?
    If you hit ESC during the Boot screen, you should see the POST screen. If you hold F8 during boot, you should get an options screen that allows you to chose Safe Mode. See if you can boot that way.
    If all we ever give is equal to that of which we get, how do we ever progress beyond that of which we are?
    Uncle Crustys

Does the startup process get this far http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/boot/walk/fd1.htm ?
    At this point it is attempting to boot from the HDD.

Here http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/boot/walk/index.htm is the start of the Boot Troubleshooter walkthrough if you'd like to trace it yourself.
    The bottom item left is success in most cases.

Laptop won't boot up

I tried what you guys suggested but I receive the following message at the end of the screen:
    "UMB Upper limit segment address:E000"

The screen stays frozen and doesn't to the "Entering Setup screen" or " Preparing Boot device list" screen....

I really don't know what to do now....Please help

Thanks
    Samy

Go to http://www.pcguide.com/ref/ram/logic.htm
    and click on:
    "Upper Memory ROM and RAM"
    "Usage Map of the Upper Memory Area".

This says that memory region:
    E0000 - EFFFFH
    is used by the PnP BIOS to hold its ESCD [Extended System Configuration Data], which is the configuration data that results from the BIOS making non-conflicting resource allocations, having detected all the connected PCI hardware, and the resource requirements specifed in their internal memory.
    These requirements are then recorded in the ESCD and temporarily locked.
    They must be read at each startup so the BIOS can allocate the resources specified there to enable the hardware.
    It seems the BIOS cannot access this memory region.
    I'm not sure why.

Could you detail exactly what PC events you see taking place immediately prior to startup halting?
    You didn't answer the questions Bassman asked.
    Any help given is likely to be only as good as the info supplied.

1. Perhaps this region of ROM is set in the BIOS Setup to be shadowed to RAM, but the RAM is faulty?
    a) If so you'd need to go into the BIOS Setup [if you can] to see what shadowing is set and disable it [after noting the settings so you can restore them if necessary].
    See http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/booterr.htm
    b) Make certain the RAM is properly seated and try startup.
    See http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/comp/ram/fail.htm
    c) Test the RAM.

2. Perhaps this region of ROM is faulty?
    Not something I know how to fix.

3. Did you make any Windows configuration changes recently?
    Perhaps there has been a configuration change that adversely affects the way memory is used.
    Which version of Windows?
    You could use a Win98 startup disk and "scanreg /restore" command to restore the last good configuration.

Laptop won't boot up

Mr Sylvander,

Here is a description of what happens when I start my laptop:
    - Hit the power button, after few seconds, the screen comes up with the IBM PC screen
    - At the bottom of the screen there is two options:
    Press F1 to enter BIOS setup
    Press F12 to enter Boot Device list

I press ESC button and another screen comes up listing all the PC specs ( memory, speed, processor....)

THan after few seconds, the last sentence on the screen is:
    "UMB upper limit segment address:E000"

The screen just froze at this level...I CAN"T DO NOTHING AT THIS POINT.

I tried boot disks, the pc doesn't even recognize the floppy disks and I can't get the pc to boot up..

What do you think I should do now?

I appreciate your help

Thanks
    Samy

Samyt,
    Although it would be nice to have more info as to why this is happening and more info on this machine, I would have to say, according to what Sylvander has posted, your RAM is bad. That would be the first thing I test.
    At the IBM splash screen, if you hit F1 or F12, can you get into those areas? Or does it just freeze there as well?
    Have you read through the links Sylvander has posted?
    A boot floppy won't help you at this point as you are not getting to where it would engage. You are freezing in POST.
    If all we ever give is equal to that of which we get, how do we ever progress beyond that of which we are?
    Uncle Crustys

The error message is listed here
    http://www-306.ibm.com/pc/support/si...id=MIGR-4K2PZ7
    It says:

1. You need a Field Replacement Unit [FRU] for the DIMM [Dual Inline Memory Module].

[Perhaps the DIMM is not connecting properly and just needs re-seated. I read that you need to check whether the module contacts' metal is the same as the metal of the seating contacts. If not there can be "differential corrosion" set up caused by the difference in material and the connection therefore deteriorates and becomes poor. The metals are either gold (yellow)or tin (chrome-like).]

2. If that doesn't produce a fix, then you need to replace the System Board.

So IBM say
    Last edited by Sylvander; 04-21-2004 at 09:56 AM.

Xd

Hi Man I Have Read Your Message Of Your Problem With The Thinkpad Try This, Try To Remove The Dimm Or The Memory And The Lithium Battery The Little One The Yellow One I Think, And Turn On The Computer This Is Going To Reboot The System Bios And U Will Hear Sounds, This Problems Happens Cuz The Bios I A Little Old And When U Try To Install New Drivers Let's See Printers Pen Drives N Stuff U Going To Have That Problem With Your Bios And Memory When Your Computer Hibernates Or Something I Dunno, Next Put Again The Memory Only And Turn On Your Thinkpad And If I Aint Wrong The Computer At Least I Gonna Work, If My English It's A Little Bad If Cuz I Don't Know English Im A Noob Xd..

hilikusturbo, Welcome to .

Something to consider, this thread was last responded to almost 2 years ago. If Samyt did not get this machine fixed then he/she most likely moved on to other things.
    Thank you for your enthusiasm and willingness to give help especially on your first post We look forward to your future input but lets try to stay on current issues
    Uncle Crustys

great post

I was having the same issue with my 4 year old T20 and I just about giving up on it. I was getting ready to dump it in the garbage when I decided to do a quick google search and found this wonderful post.

I removed the yellow battery which reset my bios, pop the hard drive, memory, and batteries back in and VOILA, up it came with a date/system error (expected) and I was able to go in to the bios, setup the date/time and boot back in to XP.

New life to an old friend..

Thanks for this post.. You saved my T20 from hitting the dumpster.. This is going to become my kidz laptop now..

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by hilikusturbo View Post
    Hi Man I Have Read Your Message Of Your Problem With The Thinkpad Try This, Try To Remove The Dimm Or The Memory And The Lithium Battery The Little One The Yellow One I Think, And Turn On The Computer This Is Going To Reboot The System Bios And U Will Hear Sounds, This Problems Happens Cuz The Bios I A Little Old And When U Try To Install New Drivers Let's See Printers Pen Drives N Stuff U Going To Have That Problem With Your Bios And Memory When Your Computer Hibernates Or Something I Dunno, Next Put Again The Memory Only And Turn On Your Thinkpad And If I Aint Wrong The Computer At Least I Gonna Work, If My English It's A Little Bad If Cuz I Don't Know English Im A Noob Xd..

Hi!
    I have a problem that i m not able to access "www.mail.yahoo.com". I can access all websites except this one. I checked all internet options and set as default and i never changed any settings. plz. help

tnx man

Quote Originally Posted by tazzmndvl View Post
    I was having the same issue with my 4 year old T20 and I just about giving up on it. I was getting ready to dump it in the garbage when I decided to do a quick google search and found this wonderful post.

I removed the yellow battery which reset my bios, pop the hard drive, memory, and batteries back in and VOILA, up it came with a date/system error (expected) and I was able to go in to the bios, setup the date/time and boot back in to XP.

New life to an old friend..

Thanks for this post.. You saved my T20 from hitting the dumpster.. This is going to become my kidz laptop now..

Cheers
    I was also googling and I am gonna try this tonite.

I think it's gonna worK!!

Thread Information