Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: legal liability?

legal liability?

I have a friend who runs a pub and is looking into setting up a free WiFi access point. The initial and monthly costs do not seem to bad but there is some concern about legal liability regarding improper internet use by the users. Has anyone heard of any precident regarding free WiFi use?

No personal experience, but a tought (for what it's worth )

You could swing by an internet café and see how they are handeling that stuff. The situation is a bit different, since with an access point you don't control the systems people are working on, but still...
    Updates are like Pokemon: Gotta catch them all!

I am a walrus. I type using my flippers. Hee.

another issue someone brought up...
    I though the location would be nice because it lies in the county seat with the county court nearby. I figured that WIFI might attract lawyers and news reporters. These are two groups of people who could suffer greatly if the wrong people were able to spy into thier email communications. I don't know how much of a risk this really is but consequences could be really ugly.

Re: legal liability?

Originally posted by alwaysConfused
    I have a friend who runs a pub and is looking into setting up a free WiFi access point. The initial and monthly costs do not seem to bad but there is some concern about legal liability regarding improper internet use by the users. Has anyone heard of any precident regarding free WiFi use?

go here:

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/index/0,00.asp

There are several column titles toward the botto of the page. Two of them are Consumer Advice, and Tips and Trouble Shooting. Perhaps youo can get some feedback there.

Also, click on the "MAGAZINE" icon and there is an article called "Beating The Wireless Blues". Perhpas the writer of that article can offer up some advice.
    Best//Donn

Actor Kevin Kline was asked once (Actor's Studio) how he can play his comedy rolls with such repeated and consistent passion. His response:

"I don't know, I just can't imagine not being happy."

Thread Information