Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Win XP OEM

Win XP OEM

I just purchased the OEM version of Windows XP. My system currently has Win98Se running. What is the best way to install XP? Do I need to reformat the entire drive or just the partition that has Win98? Would it be best to install over the old OS or reformat or will the OEM version have a choice to do all this for me? If anyone has ever purchased and installed the OEM please let me know your experiences.
    ASUS A7N8X-X
    AMD 2500+ Barton
    512MB RAM
    ATI RAdeon 7000VE

I have a dual boot with XP(the other being Win98)and in that situation you must install 98 first. But even if you install XP alone, the instructions are easy enough because it guides you through the partition/format procedure. The consensus seems to be that a clean install is superior to an upgrade.

If your drive is big enough di as quantax suggests and dual boot.

Thread Information