Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Rotten Logitech Keyboard

Rotten Logitech Keyboard

I have this new logitech keyboard/mouse combo. Wireless. It has all the buttons for volume, mute, messenger, email, media, favourites, etc.

Problem is most of them DON'T WORK.

Furthermore, the volume and mute controls (for example) used to work but no longer. Other buttons are the same.

As far as I know none of this is my fault. Any ideas on how to fis this b****y thing? Am thinking of throwing it off the balcony but frustration demands more force be applied. IE kicking the crap out of it.

The only thing that looks like a model number on it says: CE0682.

It is NOT the batteries, or too far away from receiver.

(PS I threw away the instructions.........)

Well, the first step when dealing with nay technology is to throw oaway the directions.

Download the latsest drivers/software as well as the user guide from the logitech website and go from there.

One silly little question: Did you install any new hardware or software or did the keyboard just up and die?

No, honestly, have you dropped/punched your keyboard?

Most keyboards have an assembly of really tiny rubber cones which normally hold the keys in erected position. All it sometimes takes to render some keys defunct is to give your keyboard a sideways punch which will disrupt the rubber cone assembly.

This works both ways; unless your keyboard is under warrantly, I'd say; give it a few taps and see if some keys come back to life. If not, it's screwdriver time.

I was hoping for a simple solution. I used to be okay with a screw-driver. Now the only one I can handle is the liquid one.

Can't recall dropping it. The thing is, some buttons still react but not correctly. IE the mute button turns on and off the little green "A" light on the mouse recharger/signal receiver unit. Most of the many buttons do nothing obvious. Unless my bankl balance takes an online hit each time I press one.... hmmm.

Have downloaded and installed plenty of s/ware but nothing sticks out as an obvious clash.

Is the wireless receiver ps/2 or usb? and, regardless of that, are there any yellow ! or ? marks beside any devices in Device Manager?
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Device manager????

Device Manager = List of Devices and stuff about drivers and so on.

In Win2K/XP || RightClick MyComputer || Properties || Hardware || Device Manager Button ||

PS
    How does the receiver connect ?? USB ??
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Angry

Oh yeah, sorry. It is a gang-loaded arrangement into the two PS-2 connections (ie the round ones above the two USBs).

Okay, Device manager, is that where they're hiding it these days. Ok. Looked it up. It says I am using a "Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft NAtural PS/2 Keyboard".

This keyboard is flash with all the buttons, whistles and horns. It is a Logitech, as I said. Are we getting somewhere now? I've been through my software collection and am 99% sure I never had a disk with it, which seems strange now.

Anyway I have nothing to re-load and in "Add Hardware" I have seen no mention of adding keyboards.

Any more ideas Paul? Thanks for the help so far...

Edit:

I went to the D/Manager as you said. I then selected the Keyboard and went to Update Drivers. In the Hardware Update Wizard, compatible hardware list shows te above keyboard PLUS a "PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-key)". I selected it and installed, re-booted and nothing has changed.

This is ****ing me.......
    Last edited by shlonger; 10-10-2004 at 04:11 PM.

Thumbs down

Also: I went to the Logitech website. Their identification of various keyboards i ssomewhat vague.

Anyway they suggested I do some sort of capacitor-depletion technique by removing the batteries and typing for a couple of minutes, which I did. No result.

I'm out of ideas unless to try out the hardware on another machine.

Anybody???

Bueller??

The model of your KB will be on the bottom of it ie Cordless Desktop Pro.

Goto Logitech's web site and DL and install the SW for your KB and mouse.

My daughters PC has the Logitech Cordless Comfort Duo and her KB is listed in device manager as "Easy Internet Keyboard" and her mouse is listed as "Logitech-compatible Mouse PS/2" and she has two icons in the sys tray
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lian Li PC-V2120X Black HPTX Full Tower
    Antec TPQ-1200 OC Power Supply
    ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS Dual LGA 2011 Motherboard
    (2X) Intel Xeon E5-2697 V2
    32GB G.SKILL Trident+ Turbulence II (8 x 4GB) DDR3 2000
    Areca ARC-1880ix-12-4G SAS 6Gb/s w/ 4GB cache RAID Controller Card
    (4X) OCZ Talos 960GB 3.5" SAS 6Gb/s SSD
    (4X) Seagate Cheetah 15k.7 600GB SAS HDDs
    Pioneer BDR-205BKS Blu-Ray DVD Burner
    (2X) Sapphire 295x2 8GB GDDR5 OC Video Cards
    (3X) Dell U3011 30" LCD monitors
    Win 7 Ultimate X64

Quote Originally Posted by rond36
    The model of your KB will be on the bottom of it ie Cordless Desktop Pro.

Goto Logitech's web site and DL and install the SW for your KB and mouse.

My daughters PC has the Logitech Cordless Comfort Duo and her KB is listed in device manager as "Easy Internet Keyboard" and her mouse is listed as "Logitech-compatible Mouse PS/2" and she has two icons in the sys tray
    Well he was given this suggestion a week ago and still has not followed it. I think he wants one of us to come over and do it for him....

Classic, I did in fact go to the website but found no drivers for the keyboard, and in fact no way of identifying which one mine is anyway.

More shortly........

I have three different Logitech Keyboards. All have a sticker on the bottom that has the model number, serial number and part number. If you you have that information and still cannot locate the software, you will need to use the information on the bottom of the keyboard and call Logitech tech support at
    1-702-269-3457 (7 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST)

Okay I went back to that site and found what you were talking about, ClassicS. I did a search for the details on the back of the keyboard:

Y-RJ20
    RT7R04
    V:5XTWIL

None of these rsulted in any information.

So I looked at the pictures (which I am good at) and chose the one that looks most like my set-up, figuring the software should do the trick. I avoided the bluetooth option as I know mine isn't bluetooth.

I downloaded it all successfully. When I press the keys, the same functions take place however I am now presented with some on-screen info about it.

I ran the Logitech Configuration program and whilst I AM able to assign things to the buttons, but am not able to CORRECT the function that takes place. IE I assigned Outlook to the "E-Mail" button but it still functions as a "MUTE" control (which is what the "Mute" button used to do, now it does toggles the keyboard between standard F key functions and the Logitech F functions. Cool hey??? Not.

Yes I would much prefer you come over and fix the damn thing but since this is unlikely, any other info is always appreciated. I feel like I'm getting somewhere and just need a little more to crack this annoying problem.

Thanks guys for everything so far.

PS will call Logitech when they open up. Thanks for the number details!

Also... I am showing Easy Internet Keyboard in the device manager now instead of those other previous details.

Mouse says: Microsoft P/S2
    Last edited by shlonger; 10-15-2004 at 12:09 PM.

I allso had this problem with my Logitech Cordless MX Duo, I just followed the post you mension on the capacitor-depletion technique and it worked great. Removed the batteries and typed on the keyboard for about one minute. I put them back in and it functioned correctly.

Thread Information