Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Hiding SSID in a Dlink DI-614+

Hiding SSID in a Dlink DI-614+

some so-and-so has found out i have a wireless router i'm using for a hub (NOT my idea, landlady didnt want blue cat5 draped along the curtainrails...)

i've been changing passwords, restricting access via limited subnet mask and ALL sorts. the b...intuitive person seems to be resetting my device via wireless. is there anything i can do?

i want to hide the SSID to make it harder to crack

Hiding the SSID is minimal, at best. Are you saying that someone has been into your router configuration telnet pages and reset your router?

If so, then you should change your password immediately. Change it to something tough to guess and use some symbols in there. Something like SsD$89VBCa would be a good password that the average software will not be able to decode very easily.

If not, then I must have misunderstood where the problem lies.

Is is not possible to connect at least one machine on your network to the router via Cat 5 cable? If you could do this, then you could set your router to only accept configuration changes from a hard-wired machine. Just a thought.

well, our broadband got pulled. we're waiting on reconnection but it will take months.

until then. connection's on ice.

Thread Information