Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Wireless router with dialup connection help

Wireless router with dialup connection help

I figured I would start a new thread from this post...with this quote that gets me nearly there:

http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=32903

Quote Originally Posted by gght
    You'll need to go into your router and change the Local IP Address to 192.168.0.254 (leave mask as 255.255.255.0). You have to do this because ICS uses the 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.250 range. You can change ICS's DHCP range, but it requires editing the registry. It's safer to edit the router.

You'll also need to disable the router's DHCP server (on the same page). Leave the Internet Connection Type set to Automatic Configuration - DHCP. That is for broadband use and doesn't concern us dial-uppers.

Next, setup ICS on the host computer. It will then assign an IP to the host as 192.168.0.1. You should be able to connect to your router again. Make a setup disk when you setup ICS which you'll use for setting up ICS on your other computers. (Note: You can setup ICS manually by assigning IP addresses to each PC. If you go this route, I think you can leave the router IP alone, and just use the 192.168.1.x range. It is much easir to use the setup disk method.)
    I have a NetGear WGR614 wireless router. Modem computer is WinXP Home, other is a laptop running Win2000.

Right now I'm just trying to get two computers to share the dialup connection hardwired. I finally got file sharing working. What I had to do was give each of the two computers a static IP 192.168.0.10 and 11. But the internet connection sharing doesn't work. If I run the WinXP wizard, it changes the IP back to what the router is set at. So this quote above makes sense to me. The problem is...I can't get into the router configuration. I get to the first screen that appears when using a browser to go to http://www.routerlogin.net , but the "next" step is where it is trying to determine my internet connection. It fails and won't let me go further. So...I can't change *anything* on the router.

Is there another way to do this and get around this failure?

And...I'm not sure what I have to do on the Win2000 side. Anyone done this?

Thanks!

Welcome to the PC Guide forums!

You can do Internet Connection Sharing (no router) or you can connect with a router but not both at the same time, they are two different methods to share a connection.

Ok.....hmmm. But I have read on other threads throughout this vast internet that it is possible to have a wireless router for wireless connections and using a dialup connection to share. Problem is, it seems that once some suggestion are posted, no one ever comes back to say, "hey thanks, that worked!". And whatever they have suggested, just isn't quite working for me...

So...whichever way gets me to that point is fine with me. I have a total of three computers. Two that are WinXP Home, the laptop being the 3rd, and is Win2000. The two WinXP's will be hardwired together. The laptop will be wireless. Only one of the WinXP has a modem..yet they all need to share the dialup internet connection.

How do I set this up?

Gunn, I've got this sort of thing working in my home, except the wireless computer is a workstation. The laptop complicates things a bit if you plan to connect to other networks, but I'll tell you what I did to the best of my ability, and perhaps it will lead you toward an answer to your situation. I found the documentation from Microsoft frustratingly incomplete and out-of-date, in view of all of the service packs. You may well find that you can vary here or there from my implementation, but I'll give you what seems to be a working starting point. You can experiment once you get things working.

Here's what I did:

1 - Assign a fixed IP address (I used 192.168.0.1) to the PC with the modem. I didn't specify either a default gateway or DNS server addresses. I'll call this the "ICS" PC. In case you're not already familiar with how to do this, you configure the IP address by right-clicking the appropriate network connection (in my case, the network bridge), clicking on Internet Protocol in the lower section of the dialog, then selecting "properties". Select "Use the following address" and enter the address.

2 - On this same ICS PC, run the wizard to setup a home network, specifying that other PCs will connect to this PC for internet access. You'll also need to specify which connection(s) are used to access your network. I guessed wrong the first time and the wizard failed. I reran it specifying different connections, then it completed properly.

3 - Right-click on your default Internet Connection on the ICS PC, select properties, click on the Advanced tab. I checked only the 1st and 3rd boxes in the "Internet Connection Sharing" section.

4 - Configure the PC which will be sharing the ICS PC's connection with a fixed IP address different than the ICS PC. I used 192.168.0.103. Set the default gateway and DNS server address on this machine to the address of the ICS PC, 192.168.0.1.

I know this may sound odd, but DNS is one of the services usually provided by ICS, along with DHCP. I think the problem is that once you introduce the wireless router, the client PC can't see the DHCP service from the ICS PC until it already has an address on the network.

5 - I configured my wireless router to not run the DHCP service, but I suspect that this isn't necessary once you've configured the individual PCs to use fixed IP addresses.

6 - If you don't have a wireless connection defined on the client PC, you'll need to run the Wireless Network Setup in the Control Panel. I think this wizard might be new to SP2. Of course, your wireless setup must match your router. I started with plain, unprotected, wide-open configuration on the network. After I got it working, then I tightened things up.

7 - On this same Client PC, right-click on your wireless connection and select "repair". You can do this either by mousing over the icon in the taskbar tray or in the network connections window (start/connect to/show all connections). In my case, once I did this, the client PC added an Internet Gateway icon labeled with the name of my default Internet connection on the ICS PC. I can right-click on this and select "Connect". I haven't played much with the usercode/password, so I'm not sure if it's using the stored usercode/password on the ICS PC, or whether it gives you an opportunity to enter the usercode and password. If you get this far, I'm sure you'll figure that part out. Maybe you'll get lucky like me (after 5 hours) and it'll work.

Best of luck,

Craig

This article sheds more light on the ICS/DHCP/DNS issue: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;309642

As it turns out, my choice of 192.168.0.1 for the ICS PC was required. In fact, according to the article, turning on ICS will automatically configure the IP address to this.

In light of this information, I'm going to try the following and see if it works. If so, it would make it much easier to add workstations and for a laptop to be portable between networks.

- Configure the DHCP service on the router to specify 192.168.0.1 as the default gateway and DNS server
    - Configure the client PC to use DHCP instead of a fixed IP address.

I tried configuring my router as I suggested in the last posting, but it only will allocate the ip address, not the gateway or dns, so I guess my original post is still the best solution for me.

Gunn, I don't know if you're actually monitoring this thread, but I just circled back and saw your original posting. I was replying to one of your later replies. Sorry.

Anyway, you mentioned that setting up ICS changes the IP address to the same as the router. That's not too surprising. I would expect that the default address for your router is 192.168.0.1, which is the address that ICS will set your workstation to when you turn it on. You try to connect to 192.168.0.1 to modify your router's settings and now the workstation is faced with a dilemma -- which 192.168.0.1 should it connect to. You must eliminate this, even for a short time to change the router's IP address. Use an ethernet cable to connect the router to the ICS host workstation, set the IP address of the workstation to 192.168.0.2, then you should be able to ping and connect to 192.168.0.1. If not, then reset your router and try again. Check your router documentation for instructions on resetting, the default IP address, and how to access the control panel. Until you resolve this, you will almost certainly not be able to get things working as you like. Change the router address to something else, like 192.168.0.255. Turn off its DHCP service. Rerun the wireless wizard on each of your PCs. At this point, I'd expect you can ping everything from everywhere. Your final hurdle will be ICS, which you'll want to set up via the home network setup wizard as described in my earlier posting.

Wow, sorry about not responding. I didn't get any auto-update messages; I must have de-selected that option.

I did get everything working and have meant to come back here and state how I did it...for the next guy. Here's what I ended up having to do:

I couldn't change the IP address of the router, because the router wouldn't let me past the very 1st setup screen as it couldn't detect a broadband connection (which I didn't have!). So I figured a way to fake it out. I connected my main computer with the modem to the broadband port of the router with a crossover cable (I think it was crossover?). I used my laptop, physically plugged into a port on the switch of the router to log in to the router. The router recognized a broadband connection! I was then able to progress throught the setup and then I changed the IP to something like 192.168.0.250 or something near the upper range, out of the range of ICS.

Then, I removed the computer from the broadband port, added it to switch port, set it up as ICS main with the modem. All the computers on the network (only 3) both have static IPs; 192.168.0.1 and .2 and .3.

Now, everything is working great. I can share the dialup connection, I can see each of the computer and file and printer share from any one of them.

Thanks to all for the help; I used bits and pieces from everyones suggestions, thanks!

Sorry this is a bit late, but I figure that anyone looking to do this in the future would benefit.

I own a Netgear WGR614v4 and I'm using it to share a dial-up connection while living in a rental house until my new house is constructed (and it will have broadband). Netgear support told me that this cannot be done, but I was able to figure out how to do it using strategies offered in this thread and some others on other sites.

Setup up Internet Connect Sharing (ISC) on your host PC (the one with the modem). There's a link to a wizard for doing this if you don't know how. If you already have your router connected to your host PC, you may get a report that you have conflicting IP numbers on your network. This is because ICS wants to use 192.168.0.1 as the host IP number and that is the default IP number for the Netgear router. If this happens, just set the host PC's IP number to something else (192.168.0.2 or 192.168.0.100 or whatever) -- this is only temporary.

You won't be able use the Netgear setup wizard . Deep in the documentation, they give you a link that will bypass that wizard, but you really have to search for it and read the manual as it's not obvious. If you haven't already done so, simply connect your router to your host PC via a network cable (don't connect it to the modem port). Go to your internet browser of choice and type in "http://www.routerlogin.net/basicsetting.htm" This bypasses all the connection testing stuff and gets you directly in the router configuration.

You will now need to configure your SSID, security (if you want any), via the Netgear config menus. Don't forget to save each screen before moving on to another screen. The only screens you really need to change are the one with the SSID, security, and the LAN IP screen. Once you have everything setup on the router the way you want it, you need to go to the LAN IP screen in the Netgear config. Turn off DHCP (uncheck the box), and change the router's IP number to something other than 192.168.0.1, but keep it on the same subnet. Meaning, just change the last segment to something other than .1 (.100, .2, .255, etc.). Make sure you have everything setup how you want it, noting all security keys/passphrases, SSID, etc., before you click that save button on the LAN IP screen. You will not be able to access the router config to change anything after this. Of course you can just reset the router back to its defaults and then reconfigure everything, making the required changes, but it's not just a matter of simply going back into the config utility and tweaking it. This process basically renders the Netgear to being just a wired hub/wireless access point -- it ceases to act as a router. You will probably get errors in the browser window after saving the LAN IP screen -- it's okay -- it's just that since you changed the default IP number for the router, it no longer knows where to go to get you back to the router config screens. Just close your browser window.

You will need to manually set the IP number on the host PC to 192.168.0.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Just leave everything else how it is (don't worry about DNS, etc., because you'll pick that up when dialed out to your ISP). You have to manually set this IP number. If you don't, it may still work, but you can also end up with Wi-Fi connection and ICS related issues.

You should now be able to access the internet via your host PC's dialup connection.

I'm using this setup to wirelessly connect my kids' notebook computers to my printer, and get them on the internet. I also use it sit on my lazy butt in a more comfortable chair in a different room, connecting to the internet through this setup with my Palm Tungsten|C (built-in Wi-Fi, keyboard, etc.) and checking my email and doing minor web surfing. I also wirelessly synchronize data back and forth between my Palm and host PC.

Hope this helps anyone attempting this in the future. I know I was a bit annoyed that Netgear told me it couldn't be done, and I didn't find it documented anywhere on the internet. Feel free to email me with any questions or better yet, post a response here so everyone can benefit from the question/answer. Sorry that the Netgear config part isn't very specific -- remember, I cannot get to that config utility anymore without resetting my router to defaults, so I'm writing all this from memory.

-- Chris

Yikes! Internetpilot, I bought a wireless notebook (HP pavilion zx5000, running Windows XP Home) in May 2004, expecting to be able to easily use it in any room of my home. Then, I found out that the wireless function would not work until a router was purchased and installed - only to discover that routers do not 'work' with dial-up service. (I live in a little corner of 'farmland' in an otherwise quite surburban area: Elkton, Maryland. My TV cable company tells me it cannot provide me with cable internet access, and my phone company does not offer DSL on my 'street'. I do have a phoneline 'just' for the computers ... but I guess that's not quite the same as having DSL, huh? LOL!)

Just this Saturday, I took my niece to Costco to get her a 'wireless' notebook pc for a graduation present, and asked the fellow there (who sounded like he knew something about PC's) if there was any router that would work with dial-up internet connections. He said, 'Sure', and handed me a Netgear WGT624NA. I didn't look at the system requirements at the store, but see now that the box indicates that broadband service (cable or DSL) and a modem with Ethernet are required.

My desktop is a Compaq Presario 5000 running Windows Me, from 2001 (Celeron 800MHz, 128 KB memory (I have a second memory card, but have not installed it), 20GB HD, 56K ITU v90 modem), and I thought all I'd have to do is connect the phone line to the router, the router to the desktop, and then use the 'networking' setup wizard to connect the notebook to the desktop. ('If wishes were horses ....') I'm 'trying' to make heads or tails of your post, but clearly this wireless function setup with dial-up service is going to be way beyond me. What makes that embarrasing is that you've so clearly, in 'English', detailed the process - and still, I'm sure it's beyond me. To paraphrase Renee Z, 'You had me (lost) at 'Setup up Internet Connect Sharing (ISC) on your host PC (the one with the modem). There's a link to a wizard for doing this if you don't know how.' I mean, don't all pcs have a modem? LOL! Where ever would I find the 'ICS' on the Compaq, or the link to a wizard for doing this ... ?

I'm pretty much sure the Compaq, which I though I'd be able to use as the 'host' pc, does not have an Ethernet connection (although I'm not even sure how I would be able to tell ...) - I mean, would it not have some sort of sticker, saying so, if it did? LOL! So, I'm resigned to returning the Netgear router, and just hard-wiring the rooms in the house where I'd like to be able to use the notebook. Sigh. I was so thinking that a wireless notebook pc worked like a wireless phone, at least - and a cell phone, at best. Indeed, I was thinking that I'd be able to use this notebook if I went camping, or kayaking, etc, bouncing the internet connection off a satellite, like a cell phone. Sigh.

Well, I guess I have to either read (gasp) the damn manuals that came with these PCs, to find out if either has this 'Ethernet' modem thingy - or hire a computer-savvy individual to help me set up some sort of wireless system. I'm thinking I can, with less expense, do the hardwiring myself ... been meaning to run a TV cable upstairs, anyway ... so will likely do the phone and TV cable at the same time. Just wonder why, if they can put a man on the moon, they can't just make laptop pc's able to connect to the internet much the same way that cell phones connect to phone systems? Integrally, and via satellite ... or, do they??? For a little less money than it cost to put a man on the moon, that is ....
    {D {D {D 2U (Lots of Acorns to You) from
    The Den Drey at Phantom Farm
    "What the world needs now are MORE SQUIRRELS!
    Then, there would not be so many NUTS running around loose!"
    --Skwerlbaitbev--

Talking Hello skwerlbaitbev

Your posting has two interesting points. First, about dial-up sharing, did you ever considered SMC Barracuda dial-up router? Though not supporting wifi, it seems to be just done for your need, and I wonder if you can chain a second router after the Barracuda to get wifi connections.
    You complain wifi dosn't connect you whenever you go... There are solutions, at least in Europe, by which (at the expense of an add-on card) you can connect to Internet through your cell-phone operator. Regular connections are slow, but GPRS and UMTS/3G now support higher speeds, up to streaming video.

help dial up to wireless connect

I really need help what is this internet sharing changing ip address of router how do i get there?

I have a dial up connectionn on my desk top would like to connect my laptop and go on the internet anywher in the house and also print. I have a netgear router where do i go from ther do i need a dial up brwser on my laptop or just internet explorer.

Help desperate.

I hoped that I didn't come a bit later.You can connect Internet. You can try Internet arrangement.Perhaps help you.

possible solution, although perhaps impractical

Sorry for such a nave reply, but having used dial-up for years with many different desktop and laptop compututers, wouldn't it be easier to simply connect directly to the phone jack with each computer and forget about trying to connect via ICS? Every laptop I've seen has an internal modem and all you would need is a long (say 50') phone cord and you could use it pretty much anywhere in your house. Yes, this would require another cord and no, it would not be wireless. But we're not talking about using your laptop at a cyber cafe or airport here, just household use. Take your laptop to the room where you want to work, find the closest phone jack, connect and go. And furthermore, you're not going to have more than one machine online at a time, are you?

You could still share files and printers via your wireless connection once you configure it properly, just not the internet connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    Sorry for such a nave reply, but having used dial-up for years with many different desktop and laptop compututers, wouldn't it be easier to simply connect directly to the phone jack with each computer and forget about trying to connect via ICS? Every laptop I've seen has an internal modem and all you would need is a long (say 50') phone cord and you could use it pretty much anywhere in your house. Yes, this would require another cord and no, it would not be wireless. But we're not talking about using your laptop at a cyber cafe or airport here, just household use. Take your laptop to the room where you want to work, find the closest phone jack, connect and go. And furthermore, you're not going to have more than one machine online at a time, are you?

You could still share files and printers via your wireless connection once you configure it properly, just not the internet connection.
    What a great site and great thread. Just found this site and I should be spending hours catching up on all the good info.
    Relztrah, its been my experience that the longer the cord you have for dial up the weaker the signal has been. Of course, I live in the sticks and that may not be true in the city.
    The main purpose for going wireless is not to hassle with the cords. (besides the dogs love to chew on them)
    Thanks to all who posted.

Setup 2 Computers Through 1 Dial-Up Connection

Hi, I have had wanted to connect my computers to my current computer that is connected to dial-up and it is simple. Make sure your computers have ethernet hubs on them. First connect to your dial up connection, and go to your internet connection list, and right click on your dial-up connection, and go to the advanced tap and click allow other computers to connect. This allows that connection to be shared. Now go to control panel and click network setup, just click local area connection and the box that says ignore being not connected.Next it will say how you want your connection shared, click the top one, then it should show the connections that can be used click your dial-up one and finish. It should setup the connection. When your done get an ethernet cable and plug it in the computer with dial-up, and connect the othor computer to it. Your dial-up is now shared, but the computer you want to share the connection with must go to network setup and make the new connection to use.

hi...

but i hav some prob wit the connection through router.....

could u help me clearly hoe to perform independently

We have done this before.. we have a dial up then we bought a wireless for us to be able to go around the house with our laptop.. I think there are different types of wireless.. I'm not sure but I'll ask the one who connected it for us,

you can use both

At home we have a dial up connection as well as a wireless...We just connect the wireless to our dial up connection...hope this answer your question.

Thread Information