Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: lcd monitor defects

lcd monitor defects

Hi all,
    AM looking for lcd monitor and on this auction site they have these below with defects labelled...
    BENQ FP937S-D, 19 TFT LCD MONITOR, BLACK/SILVER, DVI/VGA INPUTS, VGA CABLE, DVI CABLE, POWER CABLE, MINOR DEFECT: RED PIXEL LOCATES AT BOTTOM CENTER (12 MONTH REFURBISHED WARRANTY). 99L0G72RSW44200346TLDRSW (72085-7)
    and others have:
    RED PIXEL LOCATES AT 17.4 CM RHS, 6.5 CM TOP

are these what are called dead pixel and do they make noticeable diff?

cheers
    anton
    for laughs..cosby and my brother russel

Blog Entries
    Technically dead pixels are pixels that just won't light up anymore. As in they are black. Any other pixel malady is considered a "stuck" or "locked" pixel, meaning it is stuck on a particular color - usually white or red. I'm not really sure why these are the most common stuck colors, but they are.

A single stuck pixel on a 19" monitor probably won't be very noticeable, but it isn't clear to me whether it's just one pixel or several (singular vs plural is difficult to decipher in that quote). Pixel defects in LCD monitors has dropped considerably in the last 18 months, with "tolerable rates" coming down from 5-10 dead pixels before the manufacturer will take it back to 1-3 dead pixels. I'm assuming it's just one red pixel in this case.

I would be cautious in a case like this. While that monitor is unlikely to ever develop another dead or stuck pixel in the next several years, LCD monitors have dropped in price enough to make me think twice about buying a used one. After all, of all the parts that go into making a computer, the monitor is the single most important part for the user. A bad display can make your user experience miserable. And since you have to stare at it for what could very well be several upgrade cycles, it's important to be very stringent in how you choose your display. That's just my two cents.

And since you have to stare at it for what could very well be several upgrade cycles, it's important to be very stringent in how you choose your display
    I agree, it's your eyes, take good care of them by getting a decent display.

Thread Information