Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Possible upgrade for socket 478 for intek Pentium 4

Possible upgrade for socket 478 for intek Pentium 4

hi,
    My present processor is intel celeron 1.7Ghz, i want to upgrade to higher speed CPU, like Pentium 4.
    My motherboard is Asrock M266A,
    Chipsets:
    North Bridge VIA P4M266A, FSB @533/400MHZ with hyper-threading Tech ready
    South Brigde VIA VT8235, supports USB 2.0, ATA 133.
    -May i know when i look for possible CPU upgrade, shall i look at the front side bus information, or back side bus what does this mean?
    -For intel celeron processor what is the highest speed, 1.7Ghz, 3Ghz?
    -What is the different between pentium and celeron processor, what does the 1.7Ghz speed or FSB @533/400MHZ mean?
    -I come across advertisement, intel centrino processor 730(1.6ghz,400mhz FSB,2mb L2 cache), what does (1.6ghz,400mhz FSB,2mb L2 cache) means?

Which processors will work will depend on your motherboard. It looks like most any Celeron or P4 with up to a 533MHz FSB for Socket 478 will work just fine. The FSB speed is the speed at which the porcoessor can communicate with the external components such as RAM.

The Celeron line is a budget line, and the Pentium line is the permium line. The Pentium processors will give better perfrmance than the Celerons. Depending on what you need the computer for is really the biggest factor in which is right for you. ALso consider how much money you want to spend, and how important it is to have the best is to you.

The Centrino isn't a processor, it is standard developed by Intel for laptops. Basically it is a list of features and components that a laptop must have to use Centrino name. One of those is an Intel Pentium or Celeron M processor, a mobile processor. There is no need to go that route on a desktop computer as it costs much more money, and doesn't give as good performance.
    Erik

Blog Entries
    Hmmm... what's your budget for this? What do you use your computer for? Do you play a lot of games or use any other demanding apps?

If you want to upgrade your Celeron, we can give you links to CPU's that will work with your mobo. If you want to actually know all this stuff, it's going to take a long time! It's all very complicated and can get confusing quite fast, so I won't actually start typing anything unless you're sure you want to spend a week or two learning it all.

The highest speed Celeron is currently at 3.2GHz (released) with the 3.33GHz version coming soon. But neither of these ones will work with your mobo because they use the new LGA 775 socket. You have the slightly older Socket 478. For your mobo, I think you can go up to 2.4-2.8GHz, but I'd have to check out the web page for your mobo first. The fastest P4 you can use is most likely the Northwood B 3.06 version with Hyper-Threading enabled, but I don't know if that chipset supports HT (again, I'd have to look it up).

Here's the link for the CPU support list for that model.
    "To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge." - Benjamin Disraeli

www.pcmarketinggroup.net

thank you for your useful advices.i am having 2 workable PC, one laptop and another desktop. I try use my intel celeron 1.7Ghz with 256MB of Ram for internet and word processing work but found it rather lag or slow. I think upgrading the CPU might solve this problem. Thanks

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by saphalline
    Hmmm... what's your budget for this? What do you use your computer for? Do you play a lot of games or use any other demanding apps?

If you want to upgrade your Celeron, we can give you links to CPU's that will work with your mobo. If you want to actually know all this stuff, it's going to take a long time! It's all very complicated and can get confusing quite fast, so I won't actually start typing anything unless you're sure you want to spend a week or two learning it all.

The highest speed Celeron is currently at 3.2GHz (released) with the 3.33GHz version coming soon. But neither of these ones will work with your mobo because they use the new LGA 775 socket. You have the slightly older Socket 478. For your mobo, I think you can go up to 2.4-2.8GHz, but I'd have to check out the web page for your mobo first. The fastest P4 you can use is most likely the Northwood B 3.06 version with Hyper-Threading enabled, but I don't know if that chipset supports HT (again, I'd have to look it up).
    hi,
    I use my desktop to do multitasking work. I have try to play game but is quite lagging.
    Is it truth that Pentium 4 Cache(BSB,CPU L2) is normally 512kB or 1MB, and
    Celeron is 128kB, Celeron is 256kB.
    I have compare the 2 CPU on the CPU support list,
    socket 478 Celeron D 345 3.06 GHz FSB 533 MHz Cache 256KB Prescott and
    Pentium 4 n/a 2.40 GHz FSB 400 MHz 512KB Northwood All. The Celeron D frequency clock speed is 3.06 GHz faster then Pentium 4 2.40Ghz. Do you think Celeron D will perform better than Pentium 4 in term of speed?

Blog Entries
    In this case, yes, the Celeron D 345 will give you more performance than the Pentium4 Northwood A 2.4GHz. If you can find the Socket 478 version, that would be a very cost-effective CPU upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by PC_interest
    I have try to play game but is quite lagging.
    For gaming, there are many issues holding back that system. One is the abysmal onboard graphics. If you upgrade to real vid card, that will improve your gaming performance.

Another issue is the 256MB of RAM. You can play older games on WinXP with that much RAM, but not newer games. 512MB is the bare minimum for decent gaming, with 1GB being recommended, and 2GB quickly gaining popularity.

The final issue is probably what's called "Windows gunk" - this is what happens when you use a computer for a couple years without reinstalling Windows. I've seen many computers that have this type of slow-down, and they speed right back up when the whole thing is wiped and reloaded.

Thread Information