Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Problems Reformatting

Problems Reformatting

Ok, I was recently asked by my mother to reformat the computer that I have in my room, it is a windows 98 machine, we bought it from HP in 2000 when we moved. She told me that she had all of the start up discs and everything, and of course this is how the world goes, she didnt (will never format again without every single disc in hand ) . Well, what i was wondering is, we recently purchased a Dell that runs windows XP, and I wanted to know if it was possible to start up the old computer running XP. I dont think that I can, but I figured it never hurts to ask. Also, if that is not a possibility, is there anyway that anyone knows of that I can get it running again without finding those discs (which hopefully will not be the case).

You are as they say SOL. ____ out of Luck.

You need to find the discs.

You will be able to install XP, but even if it works, you wil not be able to activate it.

You can buy copies of the OS on E-bay as long as you get a COA with it you should be fine.
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

As classicsoftware said you are out of luck as far a windows is concerned but you you can always try out a linux distro. Mandrake 9.2 might be good to try it's free. It's one of the most user friendly of the linux distros. It would take your new door stop and turn it back into a computer again. here
    Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.

sell your hp for 100 dollars and be done with it

Thread Information