Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: no music

Unhappy no music

O.k. folks help me out with this one. Every time I try to play an audio cd if I try to go through my media player I get a message that says "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the approiate permissions to access them." and if I try to go through my computer I get a message that says "This file does not have a program associated with it. Create an association in the folder options control panel." Help please. I'm going through music withdrawals ! This isn't pretty! Thanks.
    vicki lynne
    Don't spend so much time looking for what's not there that you don't see what is.

Temporarily, if you have a headphone jack in the front of any of your drives, connect your speakers there. That'll do until we sort this out.

What do you see when you go into Device Manager? Any yellow alerts? You could also run dxdiag and see if it will tell you where the problem is.

Sounds like your cd-rom died.

We'll need some system specs to dig any further.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

O.K. here goes. There were no yellows in divice manager but I went in to my cd-rom anyway. It said that the cd-rom was working properly. so I checked to see if maybe the driver might need to be updated but it said that the most compatible driver was already installed. SO!!! I ran dxdiag. Under the sound tab it said no problems found but the test failed. Under the music tab it said no problems found but the test failed. So this is what I have to work with, win me Pentium 2 256 ram mitsumi cd-rom. While I was in device manager I checked Crystal wdm audio codec, Audio control registers, and mpu-401 campatible, all of them said working properly, no driver update, and no conflicts. Anything else you need to know? I'm stumped and I have no speaker ports in front. AGHHHH
    vicki lynne
    Don't spend so much time looking for what's not there that you don't see what is.

"Every time I try to play an audio cd if I try to go through my media player...This file does not have a program associated with it. Create an association"
    1. Could you describe in detail how you are doing this?
    2. Do you have "Autoplay" enabled or disabled and are you just entering the CD into the drive and closing the drawer?
    3. Or are you double-clicking on a ".cda" track?
    4. Try right-clicking on a ".cda" track and tell us here whether "Play" and/or "Open" are listed in the context menu.
    5. If they are not listed. but "Open With..." is listed, then there is indeed no program associated with the ".cda" file type and I/we can tell you how to do that.
    Do you know how many programs are installed on your PC that are capable of opening or playing ".cda" files?
    Do you know where these programs are located within your file system?

6. Install a free copy of "OpenExpert" got at http://www.baxbex.com/downloads.html
    This allows you to make up a separate section in the Context Menu [for various given file types] that lists programs that you have chosen to add to that list.
    You can choose one of the programs to be used to open that file type.

Here's my ".cda" Context Menu.
    Notice the separate "Open With" section down lower in the menu.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here's my PC's ".jpg" Context Menu including the "Open Expert" "Open With" listed Programs, any one of which will open this file type.

All right, here's how it falls out. By the way win mp 9. I just put cd in drive. This gets me, can't access specified device, path, or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access them, click o.k. and my computer goes back to my desk top. Then I double click mp, it comes up and says Ready. I click play. This gets me a message that says File has scheme not recognized by media player and asks do I want to play anyway. Click yes gets a repeat of above message. Click no also gets a repeat of the above message. Meanwhile... mp says connecting while in right hand column the numbers of the tracks turn red one after the other with yellow exclamation points beside. No names of tracks, just numbers. Everything seems to get stuck at this point until I manually eject the cd.
    Then I put the cd back in, and right click on my computer, again I get the win can't access specified... message. I click ok, then right click cd drive and click play this gets the "file does not have a program associated... message. I click ok and I'm back to my computer. And that's all I can get. Any ideas?
    Last edited by vicki lynne; 12-03-2005 at 06:41 AM.
    vicki lynne

1. Run Windows Explorer and keep an eye on the CD-drive you are about to use.

2. Put a commercially produced audio CD [or one you KNOW is ok] in the player and close the drawer whilst holding the "shift" key to prevent "Auto-play" from running and attempting to play the 1st track. You should see the disk symbol appear as the CD is detected, but the track won't play. Release the "shift" key.

3. Click on the CD-drive's icon and you should see the list of ".cda" files on the CD disk like those shown below.

4. Right-click on one of those ".cda" files and study the "Context Menu" that is produced. [This is called the "Docu-centric" method of opening a file. ]
    Do you have "Play" [should be in bold to show this is the "Default Action"] and/or "Open", or is it "Open With..." [bad, means no program associated with the file type, but can be fixed].

Here's how my CD-drive and the contents of an audio CD looks on my PC.
    Last edited by Sylvander; 12-03-2005 at 08:07 AM.

Under the sound tab it said no problems found but the test failed. Under the music tab it said no problems found but the test failed.
    If this is happening in DXDIAG with no reported problems it sounds like the sound settings are muted or set to zero or you dont have functional speakers attached. Check the volume control in the system tray and any speaker/headphone connections.

To reset the file associations for Media Player. Opem WMP and then Tools >> Options >> File Types and ensure the file you want associated has a tick in its box.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately I am learning the hard way that lightening does strike twice in the same place. I've been off line for about a week and just now getting a system up and running again. I figure if the cd-rom wasn't fried in the first place it probably pretty much is now. Oh well, life goes on, long after the thrill etc.... Thanks again.
    vicki lynne

Thread Information