Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: 128MB PC133 or 192MB PC100

Angry 128MB PC133 or 192MB PC100

I just bought a stick of 128MB PC133 RAM. I had 64MB of PC100 in the computer before. I run voice dictation a lot. Would I get better performance with both sticks of RAM in there or just the PC133?

Duron 700
    Gigabyte MB

Blog Entries

I can't say definitely, but you should be able to run both without any problems, and any time you add more RAM you'll get better performance, as long as you don't have a chipset that only chaches 64MB, which is highly unlikely in your case. I think they both will run at 100MHz though, but that shouldn't be a problem. Ram is supposedly backward compatible, and PC133 should run at 100 MHz just fine.

Try it, if you have problems, pull one and just run the other.

------------------
    If you had everything...Where would you put it?

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

With RAM, more is better than faster, with a few exceptions.

------------------
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    Comprehensive PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.
    Charles M. Kozierok
    Webslave, The PC Guide
    PC Reference, Troubleshooting, Optimization and Buyer's Guides...
    Author, The TCP/IP Guide
    A comprehensive, comprehensible guide to TCP/IP protocols and technologies...
    Note: Please reply to my forum postings here on the forums. Thanks.

Cool

Originally posted by ixl:
    With RAM, more is better than faster, with a few exceptions.
    Yes more is better. HUGE improvement with the dictation program with the extra 128MB ram. Thanks for the replies. Running:

Duron 700
    Gigabyte 7ZX
    192MB Ram - may be getting more to see further improvement possibly. Ram is dirt cheap now.

Thread Information