Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Finding Router IP

Finding Router IP

Hi guys,

Am looking to temporarily turn off the Routers in built firewall. I have lost the IP address of the router, how can I find this out? IS there a simple command prompt?

Look forward to hearing from you guys.

It would normally be in the routers manual.

A lot of routers come with a default IP of 192.168.1.1.

Why would you want to shut the firewall off?
    "Nuclear war can ruin your whole compile."
    -- Karl Lehenbauer

Well i am using limewire, and it keeps disconnecting the internet, was thinking maybe its having trouble with the firewall. WHat do you think?

For using peer to peer apps like limewire you may simply need to forwrd the appropriate ports in your router to allow it to connect. A broad sweep like turning off the entire firewall opens a much bigger security hole.
    -- Karl Lehenbauer

ok thank you.

Firstly without the router manual how can access the router? Any ways of the pc displaying its IP?

You should be able to download the manual from the manufacturers website.
    What brand/model router, and what OS do you have?
    -- Karl Lehenbauer

Its a Belkin router and I can see a model number of F5D5230-4 on it. I am running Windows XP.

run IPCONFIG which will give you your default gateway. Chances are that the defualt gateway is the IP address of the router.
    Then just go into Firefox (you are using Firefox aren't you ) and type in the IP address and hit return. This should take you to the interface screen for the router.
    If you set up a password (which of course you did, as you are security conscious, right? ) you will need to type this in at the login page.

If you are using limewire (or any other P2P software) then you really need to keep an eye on security. Make sure your system is backed up and that you run a software firewall (which will control outgoing apps) as well as a router-based firewall.

Brilliant, I have got in. Now how do I open certain ports for limewire to have free access? How do I know which port limewire works on?

Which ports you need to open is in the Limewire help files somewhere, and how to open them will be in the routers manual.
    -- Karl Lehenbauer

Thread Information