Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: possible power supply failure

possible power supply failure

im in the process of building a computer. right now everything in the actual tower is installed. when i turned it on for the first boot, everything went fine, the computer was stable and i got one long beep indicating everythings all good. However, about 3-5 mins after i turned it on, the computer suddenly shut off. I've waited a few mins, turned it back on, and the same thing happens. If i turn it back on immediately, usually the cpu fan wont even turn on so i shut it down immediately. I've done this process about 6 times and now the computer wont even turn on. I'm guessing its a power supply problem since everything else seems to b working, and also since the 24 pin power supply had on pin that was missing a gold clip on the very end. i'm also new to building computers(this is my first), so i'm confused. can anyone help me?

Specs
    MSI K8n Neo4-F mobo
    AMD Athlon 3500
    Tt CL-PO200 CPU fan
    eVGA Geforce 6200 LE 128 MB
    Maxtor 160 GB Diamond Max
    Antec smart power 400W
    Crucial 1GB RAM kit (pc3200)
    Last edited by jakkusto; 06-22-2006 at 01:10 PM.

i forget to note this, i tried waiting about an hour and tried to turn it back on. it came back on and everything ran fine, but it shut off in about 30 seconds automatically. it seems the longer i wait, the longer it stays on, but it always shuts off. i havnt reset the CMOS yet, but it doesnt seem to be the problem...

That is sounding more and more like a fan/heat problem.

Are all your fans connected and spinning?

The crucial ones being the CPU, vid card, chipset (if it has one) and PSU.

Also, go ahead and clear the CMOS...
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

ok i cleared the cmos, checked all the connections, turned it back on. the cpu fan runs, as does the intake fan for the power supply. the exhaust fan on the power supply is supposed to kick in only when it senses internal temperature in the psu is too high, so it wasnt running. the chipset fan was also running fine. now, my video card didnt come with a fan on it, nor was there one in the retail box, and it didnt have any instructions or anything saying a fan was needed, so it doesnt have a fan. It does have a big black grill-looking area that maybe a fan coudl go on but i dont know. this is the card i have.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...fwUwPdxO1dCteQ

u can see the big black area in the pic. And yeah, it shut off again after a few mins this time.

OK, if you let it sit for a while, you have a couple of minutes to get into the BIOS...

When you get in, go to the temps. Report what they are. Also see what temp/fan monitoring options you have.

If it isn't temps, then it is likely to be a PSU problem...I still haven't quite figured out what you mean by 'gold clip' but it could be part or all of the problem, I'm just not familiar with what the connector on that PSU should look like. If it is a PSU problem, then look into returning it.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

ok i got into bios and looked at the temps...

system temp 86 F
    CPU temp 87 F
    System fan 1171 RPM - this is the power supply fan
    CPU fan 2163 RPM
    Northbridge Fan 0 RPM

also, i looked around at a few other options, like smart CPU Fan target (which was disabled so i tried enabling it), and cool n quiet was turned off so i turned that on. i came back to check on the temps about a minute after i first saw them and the CPU temp had jumped to 95 degrees. And right when i saw that, it turned off again. so it seems to b a cpu overheating problem....but im pretty sure i attached the CPU fan correctly, i applied a thin layer of thermal compound and then mounted the fan. i'm using a different CPU fan then the factory one, i think ive listed it above. I'm not sure what the northbridge fan is, but theres a tiny white fan that does spin when i turn on the power, it came preinstalled on the mobo and seems to be working.

Northbridge is the chipset fan...is there an option to turn off the monitoring of it?

The jump to 95° F (35° C) isn't that bad...in fact it is pretty good.

The other two speeds do seem a bit low...is there an option to set the speeds, like min/max values?

ok i tried going through bios to find some options about changing fan speed ect. i also looked through my mobo manual but it didnt say nething about that. out of curiousity i looked at this computers specs for comparison, and on the H/W settings, it had shutdown temp disabled. I know each mobo is different, but i dont have anything comparable to that that i have found in my bios settings. i'm not exactly sure which area i'll want to start looking for that either.

Quote Originally Posted by jakkusto
    when i turned it on for the first boot, everything went fine, the computer was stable and i got one long beep indicating everythings all good.
    One long beep usually means no ram or bad ram detected. The successful POST beep that you would normally hear is one short beep.

Try booting with only one stick of ram at a time to see if one stick is bad. Also run Memtest on one stick at a time, then on both sticks if you get that far without errors. Let it run at least a few passes each time. If you get any errors return or RMA the ram. You can also test the ram out on another compatible system to see if the same problems come up.

On the PSU connector it is normal to have one pin without a wire and no gold piece (had to go look real quick ). Just make sure there is no wire going to that pin and all is well. On the two PSU's I looked at (both 20pin) it was the third pin in on one side that was missing.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

i'm sorry, it was a short beep - im new at this. yeah its more liek a quick BAP then anything long, its comparable to the beep i get on this working computer when it starts up. in any case i tested the ram, it works fine. iv read the manual again for the BIOS screen but nothign there seems to help. it seems to be somethign that automatically shuts it down, but ive searched through every menu in BIOS and i couldnt find anything related to an auto shut down, though i probably overlooked something.

i figured it out....the psu was faulty for some reason. i switched the psu from this computer into the one im building and it ran smooth for 5+ mins until i shut it off. which now brings me to my question...my mobo manual said that the 12v power supply to the psu shoudl be at 18 amps. i noticed on the side of my Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-400 ATX12V 400W PSU that when the dc voltage output is 12v, the "max" is 15 amps. does anyone think this would have specifically been the cause of the problems, or was it just due to a bad psu in general?

Umm...that could be. Under powering the current is a sure way of have things go wrong. There could be internal circuit breakers in the Antec that trip when the current rises about 15 amps.

ok. thanks for all the advice

Thread Information