Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Problems Occurred After Re-installing Windows 98

Problems Occurred After Re-installing Windows 98

I have a Toshiba laptop and it had a tiny problem at start up, but it worked well. I was able to get a fast speed internet on it. I thought that I could get rid of the "tiny" problem by re-installing Windows 98SE from a CD I had for another laptop [an IBM]. After the installation, my Toshiba laptop will not start up properly. Explorer often has error problems. A red circle with an "X" in the middle pops up and reads "Explorer has performed an illegal operation and must shut down". Also, two similar messages come up for a Vclient and a Vsmon. And there is a fourth problem that appears every time Windows starts up: a message with a yellow triangle and a black exclamation mark inside that reads "your system only allows for 1 instance(s) of Fast Infrared Protocol". I don't have much knowledge about pcs. I'm thinking the Windows I installed conflicted with Toshiba's configuration in some way... I'm not sure. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get it working properly again? Thanks.

Umm...kind of surprised an IBM disk worked on a Toshiba.

Well, do you have the original Toshiba disk? A full version of Win98?
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

i don't have the original disc that came with the Toshiba laptop. I would've used it. This Toshiba laptop was given to me by a neighbor before she moved away. I never even thought to ask her if she had a backup disc for it. She said it worked fine and it did... until I got the brilliant idea to try and fix a minor issue [a missing .dll file] by re-installing Windows 98SE from a disc I bought [on Ebay for my IBM laptop].

From your reply, I gather there are different Windows 98Se's for different brands? I didn't know that Windows 98SE's were either Toshiba compatible or IBM compatible, etc. I thoiught a Windows 98SE OS was compatible with any pc/laptop that is already running a Windows 98SE OS. And this Toshiba laptop already had Windows 98SE installed as its operating system.

edited to add: oh, and I forgot to add that the Windows 98SE CD I have is a full version. It came with the product key number and everything. And it worked on my IBM.

OEM computers usually have modified OSes for their Restore functions, not full Windows.
    Users find out when they have a dependancy for a file and the disk does not have it.

IF it was specifically for the IBM, then it is very likely that it automatically installs the drivers/special features for IBM machines. It isn't so much 'different' versions of Windows, but customizations to the one main version.

What it looks like now is that you have massive registry problems as a result of 'extra' drivers, for hardware that doesn't exist...

Did you do a fresh install or isntall over top of the existing install?

If you installed over top, then there is the chance that you also now have mismatched dlls.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

I would look in device manager and see if anything is out of place. Then you will have to download all drivers from Toshiba's Web site.

As a note to all others.

RE-INSTALLING YOUR OS SHOULD ALWAYS BE THE METHOD OF LAST RESORT!
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

Quote Originally Posted by mjc
    IF it was specifically for the IBM, then it is very likely that it automatically installs the drivers/special features for IBM machines. It isn't so much 'different' versions of Windows, but customizations to the one main version.

What it looks like now is that you have massive registry problems as a result of 'extra' drivers, for hardware that doesn't exist...

Did you do a fresh install or isntall over top of the existing install?

If you installed over top, then there is the chance that you also now have mismatched dlls.
    I installed overtop the existing one.

And, classicsoftware... you are right. Something told me to be patient. I have a desktop (which I'm using now) and I should've waited to take such drastic measures. I wanted to give this laptop to my daughter to play around with and my impatience screwed it up. Anyway, I'm going to download the Toshiba drivers if I can find them and see if that solves it.

First go to device manager and see what conflicts there are. It may not be that difficult to fix....
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

Okay. I'll do that first.

Exclamation I Fixed It

I uninstalled Windows 98SE. What that did was uninstall the last version I installed and it reverted back to the previous Windows 98SE and its Toshiba configurations. I thought that I shouldn't do that because each time I clicked on Windows 98 to uninstall, a message appeared that warned it should not be uninstalled if the hard drive has been compressed or converted to a FAT32 after the Windows Installation. I checked the system and found out that the hard drive had not been compressed but I was still worried about the FAT32 conversion. I found out it had been converted to a FAT32. But then I remembered it had not been converted to a FAT32 after my last installation of Windows 98SE. Therefore, if I uninstall the most recent installation of Windows 98SE, the original version of Windows 98SE (and its Toshiba configurations) will be the version my system reverts back to. And it worked. Thanks for the help and advice though. I appreciated it. And I've learned my lesson... re-installing an OS will be the last resort (if done at all).

Thanks again everybody.

Thread Information