Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Need to Update Vid Card

Question Need to Update Vid Card

I have a 2001 Gateway Pentium III w/celeron processor. It still has the original boards. I need to upgrade to a graphics/video card that allows for 3D graphics. Since it is an older pc, I am only upgrading it as much as necessary. I am looking at a radeon 7500 card.

What I need is: Does anyone know anything about Gateway so they could tell me if I need a PCI card or an AGP card?

Hello kitters and welcome to the PcGuide forums.

Could you give us the exact model number so we can look up the specs on it.

What king of 3D graphics? And a budget range for this upgrade?
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

It is a Gateway FLEXATXSTC BRO Essential 933 PC, made in 2001.

It is a non-essential pc in the house since we have two laptops in the house that are newer. The kids purchased a game called Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 Gold Edition. It needs a 3D graphics card, with the suggestion being an ATI Radeon 7500 or newer. That particular card is discontinued (since upgraded now), but is still available for $10-15.00.

We do not need to spend a lot on this card, since this desktop will eventually be replaced, but the kids want to play their game. I don't see putting an expensive new card in an old pc for a $19 game.

I am having trouble finding any really good info on your system.

Is it on the small cases that sits on your desk, often with the monitor on top? If it is I really doubt it has an AGP slot. PCI is probably your only option.

If you want to pop open your case and have a look to see if it does have an AGP slot here is a good picture of what one looks like. Component identification.

If it doesn't here are some options for a PCI video card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130255

Depending on how much room you have in your case it may be better to go with one of the "low profile" cards like the second and last one.

I hope that helps some.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

Thanks for your help. I will check the inside, but I am sure you are right. In my previous life (before kids) I was a secretary...learned more than needed for the job, but not quite enough to know all the insides of the pc!

Blog Entries
    I can tell you without even looking up the specs that you'll need a low-profile PCI vid card. The "FLEXATX" part gives it away. It's a thin client, isn't it?

You could probably get a Radeon 9000/9200 or GeForce FX 5200 for not much more and save yourself some driver headaches. The old Radeon 7500 was good, but was made back in the days of poor ATI drivers. Once the 9000's came out, ATI unified their driver architecture and made a solid attempt at having quality drivers, and they've been successful ever since. ATI drivers that are compatible with a Radeon 7500 will probably cause issues on that old system with a game. Not guaranteed, but enough to make me warn you.

Thanks for the additional info. I was planning to get low profile anyhow, just to keep from wasting at least one round trip to the store or through the mail. I will check on the newer cards too. Again, thanks for your input, I greatly appreciate the help!

Thread Information