Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Digital Camera Not Recognized-Please read

Unhappy Digital Camera Not Recognized-Please read

Windows XP, Sony Cybershot, USB. I've tried connecting the camera directly to the pc as well as using a card reader. No conflicts with USB port(already checked). I've plugged in the device while the pc is on as well as when turned off & tried to get the pc to detect it that way. I can't find the software that came with the camers but I supposedly don't even need it with XP. I even tried installing the drivers anyway(from the Sony site) but have since uninstalled them since it didn't work. I've aked a few people & noone can figure this out! Please help if you can. One strange thing is I now have a removable drive (F) that I cannot un-install. it says the disk space is full but there are zero bytes. I would appreciate anyone's help. I would really like to share these pictures with my family. The camera is a little over a year old & I've never uploaded any pictures from it. The camera does recognize it's connected, just not my pc.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Welcome to forums.

If the removable F drive is there and and the card reader is pugged in, insert the memory card from your camera in the card reader and double click on the F drive. The images will probably be in a folder called DCIM.
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

See if this link helps. Driver and USB and Twain patches
    http://www.sonydigital-link.com/DIME...loads.asp?l=en
    Ernie

The difference between perseverance and obstinancy is that one is made from strong will, and the other from strong won't
    Henry Ward Beecher
    Do you have reading problems? Don't let it deter you. This is what YOU can do if you try http://www.erniek.eclipse.co.uk

Please give us the MODEL NUMBER - that will help!

Is there a "button" on the camera that tells the camera you are connecting it? I have a Sony DVD Camcorder that has a memory stick. In order to connect it I need to hit a few buttons to connect it.

The last time I had a problem like yours, I solved it by removing the memory card and using a card reader. This is certainly a half-measure but if your USB slots are otherwise working you may want to try this. Card readers are cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by jmkeuning
    The last time I had a problem like yours, I solved it by removing the memory card and using a card reader. This is certainly a half-measure but if your USB slots are otherwise working you may want to try this. Card readers are cheap.
    This is NOT a half measure. It is the best way to move pictures especially is you have XP. Why do have to load crappy, buggy, drive filling, memory wasting software from a camera company that runs on your PC all of the time when you can plug in a card reader, pop in your memory card and away you go. Clearly not a half measure, it's the best way.
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

good point classic. i refer more to the point that if someone cant get camera to work as advertised and we tell person to use our solution, questioner may still seek solution to problem. i agree - sony, kodak, canon - i have used all 3 and NONE work right. i always use a "half measure" which is, as u point out, sometimes the best solution.

I connect my camera directly to computer and let XP 'discover' it and then just use Explorer to navigate the camera as if it were a USB drive...that is in Windows, and ignore the camera software, entirely.

In Linux, I use DigiKam...and have had no problems whatsoever...it beats any camera co. software and is easier to use than just about any thing else I've come across for getting pics from the camera to the computer.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Quote Originally Posted by mjc
    I connect my camera directly to computer and let XP 'discover' it and then just use Explorer to navigate the camera as if it were a USB drive...that is in Windows, and ignore the camera software, entirely.
    I too use this method, BUT, I do need to change a setting on the camera to act as a disk drive. Perhaps, tobytales, yours has a similar setting that might need to be changed.
    "...wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream..." Roger Waters

Thread Information