Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Has my laptop lost its sound?

Has my laptop lost its sound?

Windows ME, Pentium III and dvd drive.

My laptop has lost its sound.
    Anytime I successfully boot up, I do not hear Windows start up sound and cannot play music or any dvd on my dvd drive. Each time I click on the play button of my dvd player program, the followimg message comes up. (The audio hardware or drive does not appear to be working on this sysem. Please check your audio setting.) None of my music cds in the drive or songs on my laptop would play. I tried playing other audio files that were stored on laptop and always ended up with no positive results. I can't listen to any sound or watch dvd movies on my laptop.

Troubleshooting: I reinstalled the sound driver from Device Manager and also checked speakers and any other sound devices or software. Finally, I did System Restore. Still no sound and can't play dvds. Any help is tastier than an ice cream.

Run dxdiag in the Run box and test for sound. Give us the report you find.

Details on you model laptop as well, hopefully the sound device itself is not bad
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Thread Information