Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Speedfan users/questions?

Speedfan users/questions?

Anyone here know how to read the Speedfan software correctly please?

How do you mean, correctly? You start the program, and the temperatures should be pretty straightforward. Try starting prime95 or some other torture test. The temperature that skyrockets immediately is the CPU temp, the one that slowly but significantly rises is the chipset, and presumably one of the others is the case temp. I think the standard HDD temp is titled HD0 (if your hard drive has SMART enabled). If you can't see the hard drive temp, try enabling it in BIOS. If that doesn't work, your HDD doesn't support SMART and you can't monitor its temperature.

I've used Speedfan for quite awhile (though I never got the fan speeds to work, probably due to my mobo already having a similar control system onboard). If the fan speeds are what is not working, there is an option somewhere in the configure menu to have the program in "debug mode". the box is automatically checked. uncheck it.

Any other questions?

-Paul
    Cooler Master HAF 932
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
    Xeon X3370 @ 4.0
    4GB OCZ DDR2-1150
    Intel X25-M 80GB
    WD Black 1TB
    EVGA GTX 285 Hydrocopper
    Swiftech 1/2" WC system on CPU and GPU

Quote Originally Posted by paul_ View Post
    How do you mean, correctly? You start the program, and the temperatures should be pretty straightforward.
    -Paul

I had visited all the forums I could find on the net to look for answers on Speedfan and on every forum people seems to be "guessing" what the readouts means which is why I used those words above. Appreciate the explanations, I will go work with what you've written and get back to you here if I should have any specific questions, thanks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikehende
    on every forum people seems to be "guessing" what the readouts means
    Well, yeah. That's essentially what you do. Speedfan is superior to its free utility predecessors in this way, since it doesn't pick the temps for you - it merely reports whatever sensors the mobo has. This lets you see all of them and assign proper titles to each sensor. I especially like the fact that you can choose to ignore the ones that you aren't using, or that are reporting obviously erroneous temps. I don't use it for controlling my fan speeds (I like them running at full tilt all the time) but I like the way it monitors my temps, since I OC a lot!

What is the big deal on the net? Are people really having this many issues with Speedfan?? What are the problems exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by saphalline View Post
    What is the big deal on the net? Are people really having this many issues with Speedfan?? What are the problems exactly?
    From what I've read it seems that most are having trouble figuring out which temp reading belongs to what and if the temp showing is good or bad and also this controlling the fan speed issue is a real headache. I will put the laptop on our network over the weekend and put up a screenshot here then I will ask specific questions if you will.

Blog Entries
    Oh. Weird. Like paul_, I've never had a problem with it. I used Motherboard Monitor before SpeedFan, so I have experience with this type of utility. Not to mention experience with temps, and other things computer-related. I guess it just sort of makes sense to me to the point where I can't see why anyone else would get confused. Just do a few online searches and there are your answers!

I have a fun little program called "Sand" that I run for CPU stressing. This tells me which temp is the CPU within 30 seconds. From there, it's usually straight-forward which one is the chipset. But if you're still confused, run 3DMark and check the temps again. The hard drives are usually labeled automatically by SpeedFan, since they're external devices to the mobo and have much different labels. The temps that are outrageous are not connected to anything and can be ignored - such as a sensor at 10C or 200C. Any other sensors can be ignored, as well. All I usually want is the CPU temp and mobo temp. Any well-ventilated system should have no problems with hard drive temps or vid card temps, so I don't bother with them.

Thread Information