Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: CamStudio 2.1 - no sound?

CamStudio 2.1 - no sound?

I am using CamStudio - from
    http://www.brothersoft.com/Multimedi...udio_3944.html

it is a freeware software - very small file size.
    I am using it to capture activity on the desktop - however no sound is captured when I do it. I am been using uni-directional microphone.

Any advice?

Nice to see that there is soooooooooooo much documentation in the package...

I'd say start checking your sound set up.

Bring up the mixer and check to see that you don't have your mic muted or something.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Yes sooooooooo much documentation.

Anyway your suggestion resulted in me looking in the control panel.
    Once there clicked on sound and audio devices/voices tab/
    then test hardware option for microphone.

Required reading said text into microphone for it to work

Thanks

I thought it looked like an interesting program, so I was going to try it out, but the lack of documentation kind of put me off it...I kind of like having something to fall back to if I can't figure out what the program is supposed to be doing. It looks like it may be alright to make 'silent' movies...
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

finally fixed

two things i did to fix the no audio problem with CamStudio using the speakers for audio recording

1)camstudio -> audio options -> audio options for speakers -> manual search, follow directions

2)change the video codec (I know it sounds strange but I think this fixed the audio)

camstudio ->video options -> (change the compressor using the drop down box to one that works, I am using Intel Indeo® Video 4.5, there are others that are recommended for camstudio, as I am no expert on which to use)

Well it's nice that a fix was found but if it were me and I had a problem from over two years ago, I would have "deep sixed" the program and gone with something else by now...

AAMOF, the link is dead now so it is no help to those interested in trying it.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

if the link is dead, then why did my search engine find it today???????
    thanks for your useless comments

The original link to the version of the program that was originally posted about...whether or not a search engine can find a 'live' link doesn't matter. This is still 'necroposting'--digging up old posts to not really add anything new or pertinent. And it doesn't change the fact that this program is one of the worst documented programs I've ever had the displeasure of looking at.

As for the current version...here is a 'live' link...http://camstudio.org/

Haven't looked at it yet to see what has been improved, but just a brief look at the site seems that yes there has been active development over the last two years...but not all that much.

Thumbs down exactly why I don't screw around with forums

"This is still 'necroposting'--digging up old posts to not really add anything new or pertinent."]
    The only person who did not add something new is mjc with his/her own personal rule book that he/she expects everyone in the world to follow.
    Did it ever occur to you that maybe other people have the same or similar question RIGHT NOW as the one posted by msa969 three years ago? I found Targa's post completely helpful TODAY which is July 13,2009.

"Necroposting" -- the word sounds as stupid as it is apparently defined. The whole point of a forum is to encourage discussion. But there are always bitter humorless trolls roaming around on forums looking for someone to take a bite out of. And it does not matter what forum, topic, or thread you click on you always find them. If pcguide and other sites with forums wanted to encourage more participation they would get rid of users who apparently have a problem with the free flow of discussion, but instead they end up being promoted to moderator.
    Last edited by pule; 07-13-2009 at 05:58 PM.

Nice...very nice...pule...

You are very welcome, too.

<snark>Have you looked in the mirror, lately</snark>

Actively attacking anyone, let alone a moderator, in your very first post, is not going to win you any friends. And yes, digging up a long dead thread to just complain about a stupid program that can't include enough documentation to cover some simple troubleshooting isn't worth it.

Thread Information