Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: "Input signal out of range" monitor error

"Input signal out of range" monitor error

I have a newly built pc with an ATI Radeon X800 series vid card. Using an IBM Thinkvision L171 LCD monitor. XP home SP2 is main OS. All during boot, and until the blue XP "Welcome" screen appears, a box containing the error "Input signal out of range" floats about the screen. During this time, whatever is displayed (mobo flash screen, boot menu, etc) is displaced about 1/3 of the screen height down & slightly to the right. Doesn't seem to have an effect on display after XP starts, & wouldn't be an issue except I have something I need to address in XP repair console & I can't see all of the display when booting from the XP CD (again, it's shifted down & to the right). Tried resolutions as low as 800 x 600, as well as 16 bit color & refresh of 60 hz (native resolution is 1280 x 1024, I run at 1152 x 864 w/32 bit color & 75 hz refresh. Native resolution also produces the error). How can I address this issue?

TIA

Fred
    Last edited by Fred Forsythe; 11-16-2006 at 10:36 PM.

See if different(older?) video card drivers help.
    If not, then try a different video card(or the onboard video adapter, if applicable).

Check through the various resolution options to make sure that there isn't a "double scan rate for low resolution" one or something similar. Also make sure that the monitor that is being shown under the Monitor tab is your actual monitor and not something like P&P monitor or similar.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Thanks for the replies. I do have an older vid card I thought of popping in, but it doesn't seem to fit this new mobo (ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP). Vid card is configured to run multiple monitors, the Thinkvision L171 LCD monitor on the PC itself and a TV in another room, which I use to view PC based videos. All this works fairly well, again I only get the error on the L171 during boot, but I must confess I was probably a bit lucky getting to work, since I don't understand every aspect of this video wizardry all that well. Looking in display/advanced/list all modes, they all seem to be the typical variations of resolution, color & refresh rate (640 x 480 to 1280 x 1024 resolution, 16 color, 256 color, 16 bit & 32 bit color, and 60hz to 75 hz refresh). Under MONITOR, default & plug & play are listed, default is selected. Hardware acceleration is FULL, tried NONE but still got the error. ENABLE WRITE COMBINING is also checked. There is also an ATI setup box titled "ATI Catalyst Control Center" with options for setting up the 2 displays, most of which I grasp even more vaguely then I do the display options in Control Panel" What really confuses me is how this happens ONLY during boot. One might have thought if anything, settings during boot would be MORE basic. Also tried connecting an old CRT monitor, it also displays the error Again the actual working behavior is fine, I just need to be able to use XP repair console (need to remove a couple Vista installations & want to return the boot option to boot.ini.

Any insights appreciated.

Fred

Does it do it if you are going into the BIOS or just when the OS is booting?

Also, those two choices for monitor are probably NOT the best...remove both of them in Device Manager and let Windows redetect your monitor.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

MJC-Thanks for the reply. Yes, it does do the same thing when going into BIOS.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "those 2 choices for monitor are probably not the best". What choices are you referring to? Can you elaborate?

Thanks

Fred

In Windows...'default' and PnP...both are 'generic' monitor profiles.

But......

If it is misbehaving in BIOS and before Windows boots...then it doesn't really matter.

Do you have another monitor that you can try? If so, check the BIOS to see if there is a setting for the video that gives you a choice of something like CGA/EGA/VGA...make sure that it is set to VGA.

Also make sure that the card is FIRMLY seated and fully locked into its slot.

Thanks for the reply. Card is fully seated. I was able to view BIOS on the lcd, the only video-related option appears to be "Repost video on S3 resume" which apparently is whether or not to invoke VGA BIOS on S3/STR resume. I gather has something to do with hibernation, so it's probably not applicable.

I located the driver cd for the monitor (to my surprise, the driver was not available on the Lenovo web site. I got the monitor 2nd hand & had to locate the disk). Loaded the driver, rather than "default" under display/settings/advanced it is now IBM L171. Problem still exists.

Fred

The cause of the problem may be the video card. I've read on the Web where others have had the same problem with that card.

Fixed, or at least worked-around

Found away at least around the difficulty. My setup has the monitor on the vga port of the vid card, and a TV in another room connected to the s-video port via an RF modulator and a coax run. Temporarily disconnecting the s-video cable from the vid card eliminates the "out of range signal" during boot, in BIOS, etc. Still not sure what the deal was, again, the monitor behaved fine once into XP. I did see a number of people who were having similar trouble with this card, especially on Linux, where it may or may not be related to a scenario like my own.

Thanks again for the replies.

Fred

Thread Information