Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Repair install Dell Dimension 3000?

Repair install Dell Dimension 3000?

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 and did not get a recovery cd with it, is there any way for me to do a "repair" install?

If the software is performing well because no chaos has yet crept in, then...

1. For all the data that that doesn't have it's location/address specified in a configuration file or the registry:
    Move it off the C: partition.

2. For all the data that that does have it's location/address specified in a configuration file or the registry:
    Move it off the C: partition [I suggest to a D: partition all its own] as follows...
    a. My Documents. [Use “TweakUI” to move their home]
    b. E-mails for all identities. [use the email client to move their home]
    c. Internet Explorer Favourites. [Use “TweakUI” to move their home]
    d. Temporary Internet Files. [use the browser (Internet Explorer) to move them]
    e. Re-home the Windows Address Book as shown here http://tinyurl.com/24q6l . Use the key “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4\Wab FileName” to specify its new address. [Its normal home address [in Win98] is C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\(the name you gave your PC).WAB]

3. As you move forward in time making changes to the software [sometimes for the worse], make image backups at key points when all's well.

4. If at any time you so much as suspect that all's not well with the software...
    Just restore a [recent, good?] image backup that's to your liking.

5. Only if all of that fails you [Is the software presently misbehaving?]...
    And it's most unlikely that it will fail you [I've never had it fail yet]...
    Only then should you do the following...

6. If you're running WinXP [which OS if not XP?]...
    XP's No-Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option.

Here's the whole story Sylvander, I've always had my main music software, OTSDJ, installed in a folder called OTSDJ in "Music programs" on my C drive which is where I install all of my music programs. Upon installing the new 1.75 version I was very busy and let it install into the default C:\OTSLabs. Yesterday while cleaning up my folders I tried moving this OTSLabs folder into the OTSDJ folder in Music Programs, after doing so, OTS would open then close immediately, I then tried moving OTSLabs folder back where it was originally but now same problem.

This is what the software company had to say last night:

Quote:
    "It is not wise to move folders around on your system drive unless you
    are absolutely sure that the folder contains only files that you have
    created (ie. audio files, word documents, etc.). Any folders or files
    created by way of an installation (ie. OtsDJ), cannot be moved from one
    location to another. This will severely mess up your system, and Windows
    in particular.
    The advice we offered by phone was the quickest way to try and resolve
    the problem. If this hasn't worked, you may have bigger problems on
    your computer. Can your other programs make use of your soundcard(s)?

You could try removing all Ots references from your system registry.
    This would at least give you the option to select a soundcard on startup
    of OtsDJ. Obviously you would need to reinstall OtsDJ after cleaning
    out the system registry.

Please keep us informed. As a very last resort, a fresh Windows install
    may be the only solution.

I don't wish to do a fresh windows install becuase I'll have to re-license all of my other softwares of which there many but this seems like my final option, what would you advise here to prevent reinstalling a fresh OS?

BTW, I am not having problems with any of my other music softwares, only this one due to moving the installation folder so it's really frustrating for me to have to do a fresh install just becuase of this one software. I tried reinstalling the software where it was originally after clearing the registry but this still doesn't work.

The first thing you should do [if you want to do the WISE thing], is to make an image backup of C:
    That way, at least you can get back to where you are now.
    If only you had done it before you did the install.

When your program was installed into the C:\OTSLabs folder, registry settings and shortcuts [in the Start menu, and/or on the Desktop] would point to program files either in that folder, or in a sub-folder inside that folder.
    The addresses or locations would all begin with that path.

When you moved the folder, all the links would have been broken.
    The registry settings would point to files that didn't exist at that location any more [there would be "Orphan Settings" in the registry].
    The best way to fix these orphan settings is to put the files back where the settings expect them to be.
    So the best thing to do in such a situation is to put things back as they were when installed (back at C:\OTSLabs).
    If things didn't work as they aught once you'd done that...
    It might possibly be because you'd changed SOME of the shortcuts to fix the broken links, so now some of them pointed to the new location not the original location...
    Check the "Properties" of your shortcuts to see that they all point to locations beginning C:\OTSLabs.
    Then...
    Uninstall the program and reinstall it in your preferred location.

You say you tried cleaning the registry of all references to the installation.
    That ain't so easy to do cleanly and completely.
    I used to use a prog named "Clean Sweep" by Quarterdeck, which could do that. It listed each Application installed and the user could browse all of the higherarchy of its registry settings, and if you chose to remove a program it would do it clean and complete.
    [I don't do things that way anymore; I use image backups]
    The chances are you didn't remove all of the settings, so the program won't install.
    I'd say you should put things back as they were installed and try to use the uninstall program included as part of the installation [or the entry in "Add/Remove Programs"] to do the uninstall.
    Only then try to reinstall the prog.

You still haven't said which Windows you're running.

If the above fails...
    And if running WinXP you might try going back to a restore point made before the install.

Using XP Home, I did all of the above, nothing works, I am going to try a repair install and if that doesn't work then a reformat as a last resort. Regarding what you said about backing up the C drive, I don't see the need for it, now, that is, becuase I will still have to relicense all of my softwares but for future purposes, since I have 2 HDD's on this pc, I can back up the C drive [40GB] on my F drive [160GB], can't I do this? Since I don't have any purchased software for drive imaging, is there any free software for this?

"then a reformat as a last resort"
    Either move all your data off C: before you do that, or...
    Make an image backup [to F:][using the FREE trial version of "Image for DOS on the FREE EBCD] and you can use the [FREE] TBIview [by TeraByte] within Windows to RAPIDLY restore any number of folders/files from within one of those ".img" backup files to any location [partition/drive/folder] of your choice.

"I can back up the C drive [40GB] on my F drive [160GB], can't I do this?"
    You can indeed do this!
    It's even better to save the image backups to an USB 2.0 connected HDD in an external enclosure.

"is there any free software for this?"
    1. You've got to hang around here at the PC Guide and keep your eyes peeled and your wits sharp/keen-edged.
    A short while back I posted a [time limited] link to a full free copy of "Acronis True Image". That opportunity has gone.
    2. The "Emergency Boot CD" [EBCD] includes a FREE TRIAL copy of "Image for DOS" [IforD named "Image" on this CD].
    It is an older version of limited capability.
    e.g. Unlike the paid version, it doesn't work with an external USB HDD; so you must save to and restore from a partition [other than that being backed up] on an internal HDD.
    And it won't save to an NTFS partition [unlike the paid version].
    3. The free trial [latest] version of IforD from the TeraByte website has all of the latest features, has a limited trial period, and is well worth buying.

a. How to make a free “Smart Boot Manager” floppy
    http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=41498
    This makes it easier to boot a chosen drive [particularly the one holding the EBCD].

b. How to make a free EBCD bootable CD
    http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?t=41485
    This has a number of useful utilities included including "Image" [for DOS, by Terabyte] & "File Manager".

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvander View Post
    "[color=blue]1. You've got to hang around here at the PC Guide and keep your eyes peeled and your wits sharp/keen-edged.
    A short while back I posted a [time limited] link to a full free copy of "Acronis True Image". That opportunity has gone.
    I remember that. Like I say though, I don't really see the need for "imaging" drives since you still have to reinstall and relicence your softwares?

"you still have to reinstall and relicence your softwares?"
    I'm no expert on WinXP since I use Win2000Pro, but...

Surely since an image is of a WORKING system [Windows, Programs, configurations, etc], including all the necessary activation measures included, there would be no need to reactivate.

After all, the hardware is identical in both/all cases, and every image matches that hardware.

I use images all the time and I've never seen the others here at the PC Guide who run WinXP and also use images report such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvander View Post
    "[color=blue]
    I use images all the time and I've never seen the others here at the PC Guide who run WinXP and also use images report such a thing.

I made a mistake on the reinstalling, yes with imaging there is no need to reinstall softwares BUT this is the very first time I am hearing otherwise where licensing is concerned, no one I know could ever do an image without relicensing their softwares especially music softwares. I had asked this very question on many forums in the past and the best explanation I have gotten to this day came from one person who said it has to do with the HAL which is different in every pc.

If you were to put the image on a different computer, yes you may run into having to relicense your software. But as long as it is the same machine everything on the imaged partition will be just as it was when you made the image.

You can even put it on a different partition or hard drive. It may take a little editing of the boot.ini file, but it will be fine.

I can take the last image I made two days ago, restore it, and any changes I have made, or say a virus has made, will be gone and everything will be set up just like it was when I made the image. Even my desktop icons will be the same.

Since I have been doing this for awhile and getting things just the way I like them, I can restore an image from a DVD and be back up and running like nothing happened in about 20 minutes. In about ten minutes or less if I use an image stored on one of my hard drives.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

Yeah I think the confusion is coming in that an image can be used in a few different ways. It can be used as a deployment method (say you needed 100 identical PCs) or for backup/recovery purposes. If you were to make an image of your working computer and then use it to restore later on you would have no license issues, it is going to work exactly as it was when the image was made.

Now when using imaging as a deployment tool you do need to be concerned with licensing of the additional computers.
    Erik

Thread Information