Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Need Suggestions for a Solid, Stable AM2 Board

Lightbulb Need Suggestions for a Solid, Stable AM2 Board

I was inquiring a few weeks ago about a decent 939 board for a new build but with the huge AMD price drops my friend decided to go AM2 and to take advantage of some nice X2 offerings.

This system I will be building for a friend will be a non-gaming, non-overclocking rig for the purposes of Window Office work, Windows Publishing, video and picture editing, online banking, DVD burning, internet surfing, downloading music and other things, and other applications such as Quick Books.

I have done a lot of research into AM2 boards, including here, but there is so much to consider I could use some help in finding a good board. A number of them seem to be picky about RAM while some others have issues with certain X2 cores.

He figures with what it will be used for it should last him for some time, thus the need desire for a solid, steady and reliable motherboard.

I did look seriously into the Asus M2N-E nForce 570 Ultra MCP but I have read online of MANY people having issues with this board even at stock settings.

Desired Parameters:

1. Buget: $75 - $125

3. Can do at least 8 Gigs of RAM (for the future); but 4 Gigs is definitely doable.

Here is what I have been seriously considering. Let me know what you think.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813123019

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128034

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138026

Thanks.

The first two have onboard graphics, is that intended?
    CPU: Core2Duo E6750 @ 3.6Ghz GPU: Sapphire 4870 512MB
    Mobo: ASUS P5E RAM: 2x2GB Corsair XMS2 w/DHX
    HDDs: 1x74GB Raptor; 2x500GB WD5000AAKS
    Display: Samsung 226BW Sound: X-Fi ExtremeGamer

Quote Originally Posted by odannyboy000 View Post
    The first two have onboard graphics, is that intended?
    Only because the boards have it, but the they can be disabled because both boards also have PCI-e slots.

Blog Entries
    $75 - Asus M2A-VM retail
    $77 - MSI K9NBPM2-FID retail

And what bad reviews have you seen with the Asus M2N-E? My friend, Orion, has the SLI version and it's working flawlessly for him.

saph, AnandTech has a dedicated thread on their forums for the M2N-E and a goodly number of people have been having issues. Of course, the majority are ocing but a few are running at stock speed. plus, I am looking at the non-Sli version.

By the way, I've never worked with a Micro board before. besides the size, anything else to be aware of?

Not for what your looking to do.
    CPU: Core2Duo E6750 @ 3.6Ghz GPU: Sapphire 4870 512MB
    Mobo: ASUS P5E RAM: 2x2GB Corsair XMS2 w/DHX
    HDDs: 1x74GB Raptor; 2x500GB WD5000AAKS
    Display: Samsung 226BW Sound: X-Fi ExtremeGamer

Blog Entries
    They're smaller and have less expansion slots. They also use about 30% less power for the mobo itself, but that's insignificant to the rest of the system.

That's about it.

Thread Information