Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: VPN Error 766

VPN Error 766

Ive been trying to make this work for so long now but every time i try to connect with my client to my vpn server i get error 766. It says im missing a certificate. How do i get one? Is it a certificate on the server thats missing or on the client pc?

Thanks

Your IT department can best answer that

If they can't help (perhaps you are a one man operation) you might try the tech support of your VPN software provider.

Another tip for troubleshooting VPN connections....

If you use a router try by passing it as a troubleshooting step. Most routers must be setup to support VPN connections and some old ones do not support all types of VPNs. ("login" errors can be caused by routers that do not support the VPN protocol your software uses for login to a vpn server.)

Good luck
    Ferengi Rules of Acquistion:
    Rule # 47
    Don't trust a man wearing a better suit than your own.

Hey thanks. This is the router i got. Doesn't it already support vpn? I though it did. Oh and yea this isnt my company with the vpn server or anything im just using it to access my own network I setup my own vpn server and i though maybe i did something wrong.....

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=530

Quote Originally Posted by Spearball View Post
    Hey thanks. This is the router i got. Doesn't it already support vpn? I though it did. Oh and yea this isnt my company with the vpn server or anything im just using it to access my own network I setup my own vpn server and i though maybe i did something wrong.....

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=530
    What VPN solution are you using? (windows, Citrix, nortel...)
    Rule # 47

Im using the windows one. I got windows server 2003 on the server and windows vista on the client.

If your using L2TP with IPSEC and you set up certificates for the host and you need to issue a certificate for your client from the CA intermediate.

I would suggest you change the VPN to use a preshared key; less secure but, much easier to set up for a novice.

These instructions are for 2000 but I think they will be mostly the same and give you an idea of what to look for.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240262

Thanks. Is there any ports i have to port forward on my router?

Check your router's settings for IPSEC (VPN) by opening the advance -- firewall settings page. Look to see if IPsec (vpn) is checked, if it is you should be good to go.

If that fails to work open the following...

configure the router or firewall to pass PPTP (TCP Port 1723 and IP Protocol ID 47 [GRE - Generic Routing Encapsulation]) or L2TP over IPSec (UDP Port 500 and IP Protocol ID 50 [Encapsulating Security Payload]) traffic to and from the VPN server.

Good luck
    Rule # 47

The ports are opened on the router connected to the VPN server. If by your router, you mean your home router, you don't need to open any ports. Opening ports is for uninitiated traffic. I assume your home computer will initiate traffic, if so the ports don't need opened on your home router. If the Server initiated the connection to your home machine or directly to your home’s router, for a site-to-site VPN, then you would open the ports on your home router as well.

Well thanks for all your help but when i now try to connect it hangs at connecting to server and i get error 789. Is this a mal configured setting or because of my firewall?

What are you using for the VPN? Did you set up IPSEC with a preshared key or with certs?

Right click My Computer, click Manage, Expand Services and Applications and click on Services, in the right hand pane find the IPSec service and make sure it is started.

You also need to post the entire error message.

The exact error code is..
    The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during initial negotiations with the remote computer.

Yes the ipsec service is running.

Did you do the troubleshooting steps I outlined in my first post...Trying your VPN connection without the router?
    Most home routers are not made to support VPN servers on the inside, so you will need to know your stuff in order to get it to work. Also be sure to check your event logs on both computers for more information.

Once we have taken the router out of the picture if you still get that error we can move on.

Good luck
    Last edited by Ghost_Hacker; 07-07-2007 at 05:15 PM.
    Rule # 47

Taking your advice, i just took out my router went to try from an outside connection. If i try connecting through pptp it now works..yay, but i still get the error when trying to connect with l2tp ipsec.

Edit* By the way ipsec pass through was enabled on my router.
    Last edited by Spearball; 07-07-2007 at 06:18 PM.

Ok. Your authentication method is causing the problem.

You could use a preshared key, as mention before by Variable.

To setup to use certs try this link:

http://www.petri.co.il/install_windo...er_2003_ca.htm

Good luck
    Rule # 47

Thread Information