Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: comodo firewall discussion

comodo firewall discussion

i've been using comodo firewall for that past few months now, and as i've confided in it to the extent i've used it, i haven't really questioned the security it provides. i question it now, though, in the manner that i use it.

Comodo has three 'monitors:' application monitor, (application) component monitor, and network monitor. I turn the first two off and just leave the third with the default network control rules.

Question: is this a good firewall (with the first two monitors off and just the default network rules on)?

NO. You just turned off the two most important parts of the firewall.
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

OK. But the network rules determine what is alllowed to enter in the first place; those rules block basically everything coming in; so that the things that enter my computer are at my request.

scenario: if a computer is just idling while connected to the internet without a human person using it, then with just the network rules on and the application monitor off, no one should be able to access the comptuer. right?

Quote Originally Posted by alternate View Post
    scenario: if a computer is just idling while connected to the internet without a human person using it, then with just the network rules on and the application monitor off, no one should be able to access the comptuer. right?
    Key word in that is SHOULD...but what about the vast number of apps that have built in update/phone home capabilities? (Some of which have been hijacked before...)
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

I've used Comodo in its default configuration before.
    More the less i found it annoying because it questioned EVERYTHING I DID.
    So, I switched to Sygate, and now im working with Tiny Personal Firewall.
    Both of which, i like very much
    Compy
    Lappy Ver. 2.0
    Pentium IV Celeron @ 2.20GHz
    Pentium Dual Core @ 2.16GHz
    1.5GB RAM
    2GB RAM (soon to be upgraded to 4 gb)
    64MB Integrated Intel Graphics (i'm not a gamer, so i just use it for compatibility.)
    Intel GMA 4500 256MB
    Windows 2000/XP/ME
    Windows XP Pro

Thread Information