Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Windows xp validation

Windows xp validation

Here is the problem down near my clock i'm getting an icon that says

*unable to complete genuine windows validation*

But when i go to the microsft website and validate it everything is ok and they say

Validation Complete!
    Thankyou for validating your copy of Microsoft Windows.

So why is the icon there telling me otherwise also i've noticed that when i search for updates it searches for ages any ideas what is wrong with my pc

Windows Activation seems to be somewhat prone to glitches... Usually the best bet is to call their toll free activation line and get them to sort it out...
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

Quote Originally Posted by Budfred View Post
    Windows Activation seems to be somewhat prone to glitches... Usually the best bet is to call their toll free activation line and get them to sort it out...
    Will contact them see what they say.

Donde/cuando estab en Ibiza?
    Pop Pop
    ===========
    "Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
    Albert Einstein

Well no luck getting through to microsoft

So i tried to validate through IE as i was using firefox before and all i get is the stupid error message saying IE has uncounted a problem and needs to close i uninstalled IE7 and went back to an older version of IE but the same message appears anyone know what i can do next

Right it seems that i have validated my copy of windows as i downloaded some software from the microsoft website and it validated my copy.

So the problem i now have is the icon next to the clock telling me unable to validate windows so how do i get rid of that

The number MS gives out for the activation issue is usually pretty accessible... Don't call their main support number, but use the number for activation...

You can also try using the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312295/en-us

Do i ring this number on this page?

click here

According to MS:

Product Activation Protects Your Privacy at Every Step

Activation data and any optional registration data provided to Microsoft is stored in a secure facility. Microsoft's privacy statement is displayed during the activation process.

* Toll-free telephone numbers are available in all countries whose telephony infrastructures provide for them. The telephone numbers to call are displayed when telephone activation is chosen.
    I believe the one you want is different than that main number, especially since there is probably one for your area...

According to MS:

I believe the one you want is different than that main number, especially since there is probably one for your area...
    Got through to the right department, was on the phone over an hour and they couldn't get rid of the stupid notification

They are gonna call me back tomorrow apparently

I managed to sort the problem out myself ringing microsoft was a bloody waste of time and money

I followed these steps below and now everything is fine women do have brains

1. Click the Start button, then click “Run”

2. Type in “iexplore http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=39204” then click ‘OK’. You will be prompted to download “LegitCheckControl.cab”.

3. Choose Open. Once this completes, a window will open showing two files, LegitCheckControl.dll and LegitCheckControl.inf. Leave this window open for now.

4. Click the Start button, then click “Run”

5. Type in “system32”, then click ‘OK’. (If you are running Windows XP, you may need to click “show files” to allow access to this system directory.)

6. Drag the LegitCheckControl.dll file from the window that was open into the system32 directory. If you are prompted to overwrite a file, choose ‘Yes’ to overwrite any existing file. (If you are running Vista, you may be prompted to provide administrator permission to complete the action. If so, press “Continue” and allow it.)

7. Click the Start button, then click “Run”

8. Type “regsvr32 LegitCheckControl.dll”, and then click ‘OK’.

9. You should see a dialog saying “DllRegisterServer in LegitCheckControl.dll succeeded

After you finish the above steps please restart the computer and try to validate Windows again

Congratulations!!

It shouldn't have cost you any money... Their numbers all all supposed to be toll free...

Congratulations!!

It shouldn't have cost you any money... Their numbers all all supposed to be toll free...
    It was an 08 number and in the uk it cost alot to ring those numbers

Good work ibiza chick and worth knowing about. However your link just brings me to a search page. There is however a full MSKB artcicle that covers the same area for those that want it.

Some of the UK 08 numbers are high-priced but I don't think all of them are; it depends on which set was chosen. 0845 numbers are local call rates for example.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Komski View Post
    Good work ibiza chick and worth knowing about. However your link just brings me to a search page. There is however a full MSKB artcicle that covers the same area for those that want it.

Some of the UK 08 numbers are high-priced but I don't think all of them are; it depends on which set was chosen. 0845 numbers are local call rates for example.
    It was 0870 number so i don't know what i will be charged for 1 hour but the people there were useless to say the least

That link you gave above wasn't very helpful in my case.

Thread Information