Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: video/audio

Smile video/audio

Hi I'm having problem with video when on the internet the problem I'm having is that
    the video pauses and the audio want speak but a very few words I'm running
    xp home and have abode flash player 10 I have seen people watch it on their
    system without any problem just want to know what it is that I need to do
    to correct this problem..

Thank

It could be any one of a number of reasons. And it varies for different types of video. For example, video over Skype or other instant messaging services often seems to be jerky and unsynchronised with audio, no matter how fast your computer is. But low res videos on Youtube should be ok. I have a fast machine and sometimes BBC iplayer sticks a bit, but is watchable, and Skype always sticks (which makes my family look hilarious!)

Quick tips:
    Firstly, close any other programs that are using RAM and slowing down your machine.

Close a few tabs in your browser - (if you're like me I always seem to have at least ten open at once) or pages - especially on other sites that have lots of graphics or video.

If no joy, clean your system CCleaner.com is a good free tool that will clean unused files without causing any damage, then defrag.

Longer term:
    Remove programs (and unneccesary toolbars you don't use.
    Remove programs that don't need to be in the system tray.
    Add RAM if you have less than 2mb.
    Ensure you always keep MS up to date with auto downloads.

Another handy tip is to go to a site that tells you the CORRECT speed of your internet connection (not what your isp tells you) such as: www.internetfrog.com/mypc/speedtest/ So if you pay for "up to 2mbps" you may not receive that speed all day. Keep track of the speeds throughout the day, and just view video at the times you have the fastest speed!

It might be worth upgrading to a faster tarriff. I have Virgin Media 2mbps which is good most times, but others on 8 - 20 mbps are often wasting money as they only occasionally get faster speeds than me.

If still no joy, do a search on this forum for other ways to make your PC faster, from more experienced peeps than me.
    I might as well put a confused smilie in here - it'll save time!

Thread Information