Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Restoring original start-up

Question Restoring original start-up

I installed a lame desktop theme complete with startup and shutdown splashes that I don't want to see anymore (Friday the 13th....echh!) How can I get back the original Windows startup/shutdown splashes? Since I'm not really good with computers, could I get a step-by-step instruction?

Also, I don't know what an acceptable CPU and system temperature is. I went into setup to see what my computer's current temperatures were. The CPU was 50C/122F and the system temp. was 34c/53f.
    And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

-Pink Floyd

O.K. First do you have Windows98?

If you do then hit the "F3" key on your keyboard and do a search for:

LOGO.SYS
    LOGOS.SYS
    LOGOW.SYS
    ( if you don't see them make sure your "folder options" are set to "Show all files".)

Then rename them to LOGO.SAV,LOGOS.SAV and LOGOW.SAV

Reboot and Windows should go back to using the default spash screens.

If you have Windows 95 again do a "find" on the LOGO files. But this time after renaming them you'll have to find the orginal ones and rename them back to "LOGO.SYS.."

Hope this helps and post back if something isn't clear.

Your CPU temperature is probably fine for any processor, but it would help to know your CPU type and speed. The system temperature conversion seems to be in error. If the system temp is 34C/93F, that sounds a little high to me. Maybe it needs an exhaust fan or the power supply fan is inefficient. The temperature monitors in my system are very inaccurate, so you might want to check the temperatures when you first turn it on, and compare the system temperature to a room thermometer.

------------------
    rdrummond@thesimpsons.com

Thank you for the response's scada and Reid. They helped a lot. My processor is a K6-2 500. I heard that these processors aren't good for gaming. I have been having tons of trouble with my CD Rom games freezing my system up on me totally. That's why I asked about the temp. of my CPU as well. I thought maybe it was a heat issue since I have tried everything else I can think of...including what was told to me the first time I posted here.
    And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

-Pink Floyd

I don't have much experience with games to help here, but video problems come to mind. Maybe you need video driver updates. I have a K6-III/450 and a Viper 770 Ultra and had to increase the memory from 64M to 128M to get it to run Combat Flight Sim and Driver smoothly, in addition to using new drivers.

------------------

Before getting rid of your K6-2/500, look at a chart of graphics perfomance at Tom's hardware.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Reid (edited 12-05-2000).]

Thread Information