Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: pc start up problem

pc start up problem

I used the pc, suddenly it stopped working. After restart, windows couldnt load anymore, it kept loading at the loading screen. shortly after that, restart didn't show anything anymore, no display was shown on the monitor, no bootmenu, no loading sounds and no beep while starting up. The pc can still be turned on, but only a black screen shows up. I tried F8 and putting the win xp cd in the dvd-reader, but still only a black screen shows.
    I checked inside the pc case and nothing seems broken and its not extremely dusty.

What hardware parts could cause this problem? Is it possible that this is a software problem?

Asus A8N-E
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    EN 8400gs
    1 gb ram
    450 watt
    win xp

Boot you computer with Windows Disk. After that go to Recovery console now run the command chkdsk /r
    It will recover your hard drive errors.

You mean the win xp cd? I tried start up with the cd, but the pc did not seem to read it and the display remained black.

1. "no beep while starting up"
    (a) Previously...
    When the PC worked normally...
    Did you always hear a single short beep near the end of the POST?
    And was that right before the display came on screen, as a result of signal output from the video card?
    (b) If so...
    And if you now get no such beep...
    That almost certainly means the POST is no longer reaching that advanced stage during POST. [Or else the internal speaker is NOT functioning]
    (c) Is there any sign that the POST starts? [LED's blinking?]

2. To test whether the PC's POST starts, runs, tests, and warns of the failure of the 1st RAM test:
    (a) Disconnect all unnecessary hardware to run with only the bare minimum as follows:
    PSU, mobo, CPU+heatsink+fan, internal speaker.
    (b) Ideally the mobo would be outside of the case on a non-conducting surface.
    [to eliminate the possibility of a short from mobo to case]
    (c) If you believe the on-switch is OK, use it, otherwise short the pins on the mobo to switch on.
    (d) If the POST starts, continues to run, gets to the 1st RAM test, that fails, the POST warns of that failure...
    You will then know that there's not too much wrong up to that advanced stage in the POST. [The POST is running]
    (e) Now [shut down, power-off] connect the video card, [and switch back on].
    The 1st RAM test warning beeps should still be heard [a good sign].
    (f) Now [shut down, power-off] connect a single stick of RAM in the 1st RAM slot [and switch back on].
    If you are lucky, the 1st RAM test will no longer fail, you should hear a single short beep, the video card should be successfully initialized, send signal output, and [if the signal cable connection from the card to the monitor is good] you should see a display come up on the monitor.
    (g) Only then [when the POST has successfully completed] should the BIOS attempt to look for a disk from which to load an Operating System.

3. "I tried F8 and putting the win xp cd in the dvd-reader, but still only a black screen shows"
    I believe your PC's POST is NOT completing, therefore NO DISK [HDD, optical disk, or whatever] would load its OS [see 2(g) above], and therefore hitting F8 would have no such desired effect.

1. "no beep while starting up"
    (a) Previously...
    When the PC worked normally...
    Did you always hear a single short beep near the end of the POST?
    And was that right before the display came on screen, as a result of signal output from the video card?
    (b) If so...
    And if you now get no such beep...
    That almost certainly means the POST is no longer reaching that advanced stage during POST. [Or else the internal speaker is NOT functioning]
    (c) Is there any sign that the POST starts? [LED's blinking?]
    yeah previously there was a beep during POST. There is a green and orange light near the power button. When the pc is switched on, only the green light is turned on, but the orange light not and no blinking (the orange lighy used to blink during POST).

1. "only the green light is turned on"
    I guess that's the LED that tells you the board is getting power.
    So the PC isn't "dead".
    Other signs = fans running. PSU fan? CPU fan?

2. "the orange light not and no blinking"
    That I guess is the LED for the internal [PATA or SATA?] drive controllers.
    Would normally blink during HDD read/write I think, but you won't see any blinking if the POST isn't completing, and the HDD isn't having the OS loaded from it.
    Do you see any LED's blinking on the optical drive[s] or keyboard [indicates the POST communicating with the drive (or keyboard), then initializing it].
    Would indicate the POST is running.

3. We need to know whether the POST so much as begins.
    Hence booting with no RAM in place so as to cause warning beeps that indicate the POST IS running.
    The business of doing that during a "bare-bones boot" is so as to be really thorough about it, and therefore more likely to eliminate possible culprits causing problems, or at least reduce possible culprits to a minimum.

CPU fan and the big case fan are both running, PSU fan not but I thought it was supposed to run under heavy use (PSU = Antec 450 Watt, came with Sonata II case). The LED on the optical drive turned on, and I saw a little green light which was on as well, on the motherboard near CMOS battery.

1. "PSU fan not"
    Hmm, seems odd: can you check the output voltages on that PSU or swap in a known good PSU?

2. "LED on the optical drive turned on"
    Have you ever noticed if it normally blinks during POST? [Depends on the drive]
    And does it now NOT blink?
    In which case it would indicate that now there is no communication from the POST to the drive = POST not reaching that point.

3. Good idea to:
    Take out the CMOS battery to make the BIOS Setup configuration settings revert to the defaults, and try startup like that.
    When appropriate...
    [Once the problem is fixed and you want to be able to change settings from the defaults]
    Replace the [inexpensive and easy to replace] CMOS battery with a new/good one.

4. At some time pretty soon your going to need to disconnect all unnecessary hardware to reduce to a "bare-bones boot" minimum.
    It's the best way to eliminate possible causes/culprits.

Failure to POST means faulty hardware.

Common things being common this is likely to be the PSU or the Hard Drive or possibly a loose data or power connection between mobo and Hard Drive.

I would detach the Hard Drive and see if you get a POST beep. If not then try swapping in a new or known good PSU.

After that its time for a bare bones boot.

@smith_ Please don't suggest running chkdsk until it is known that Data Recovery is not an imperative since it can make data less likely to be recovered. Please stop posting authoritatively as if you really, really know what you are talking about. This is my second warning; another one and you will suffer at least temporary ban from these forums.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

[QUOTE=Sylvander;426263]1. "PSU fan not"
    Hmm, seems odd: can you check the output voltages on that PSU or swap in a known good PSU?

2. "LED on the optical drive turned on"
    Have you ever noticed if it normally blinks during POST? [Depends on the drive]
    And does it now NOT blink?
    In which case it would indicate that now there is no communication from the POST to the drive = POST not reaching that point.
    QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the PSU fan only spinned under heavy use only, and not at start up. These are some PSU output values from a few weeks ago. I dont have another PSU

I'm not very sure, but I think that indeed the LED on the optical device used to blink, but now it does not, it just went on once.

I removed the videocard, but then the monitor couldnt be connected anymore. Still the same POST problem though. I removed 2 IDE hard disk drives, but I'm sure how the SATA hard disk (on which win xp is installed) is connected, I see a red wire that is connected, I can just pull it out? any other wires I need to remove from the SATA hard disk?

any other wires I need to remove from the SATA hard disk
    A SATA HDD is normally connected using two cables; one DATA nearly always red or orange; the other for power. The former always has an L-shaped connector for internal drives which connects to the mobo or a PCI card; the latter nearly always has a wider reversed L-shaped connector that comes from the PSU or via an adapter from a molex connector which comes from the PSU. On older SATA drives the power is directly by a molex connector into the drive itself. Both should be disconnected.
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Ok i removed the both RAM chips, videocard (and monitor), and harddisks. But i couldnt remove the wires from all the harddisks to the PSU though.
    At start up, still the same problem, no beep and no loading sounds, but the green light is still on and case fan and CPU fan are both running.

are the PSU values that i posted ok?

But i couldnt remove the wires from all the harddisks to the PSU though
    The wires just need disconnecting at one or the other end.

Yes but they are put in the backside and I don't have the right tools to reach it..But what can be concluded from what i have found so far?

A hard drive or PSU failure would be the commonest but CPU or Mobo could also be bad.

Thread Information