Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Burned CD-R shows up as blank

Unhappy Burned CD-R shows up as blank

Hi there everybody,

this is my first post and here's my problem:

I'm sure you've all heard in here or experienced the same issue, but as the title says, i have this CD-R (tdk) that i have burned 1 year ago more or less.
    Today, with EVERY cd-dvd reader/burner that i have, on different machines (even dvd home player or ps3) the cd shows up as blank.

The cd has no scratches at all, i've always kept it in a cd case. Previously it was working without any problem. Now it doesn't at all. I've also tried to use a friend's computer with 2 cd drive and his x-box but nothing.

The CD is not a multisession, i always wait to use all the space and fill them up before burn a copy. I normally burn at the minimum-medium speed, never the fastest one.

Is there any solution or any diagnostic program to try to get the data back?

That cd contains pictures that i cherish the most. The idea to have lost everything it turns me sooooo down.

Thanks to everybody who's going to answer my question

In a word try isobuster.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Komski View Post
    In a word try isobuster.
    i did try Isobuster.. but still it sees it as blank

Either copy it to your HD or run GetDataBack on it. If it finds no info,,, I'm thinking someone made a switch.

Can you see a line where the burn ended on the CD?
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

If isobuster reports the disk as "blank disk" (and thus also shows no sessions) then I doubt there is any software that will be able to access it better. If instead it reports "no disk" then there is a hardware media recognition problem. GetDataBack does not visualise a CD's file system - it is only designed for FAT or NTFS file systems.

A direct access hex editor (such as WinHex) might see "something" if anything was burned to the disk but I wouldn't hold out any real hope if isobuster sees it as a blank disk. If that is the case it probably is a blank disk and the disk is not the disk you think it is or the original burn never took place. Perhaps it was run in simulation mode or something like that. FTT's suggestion of looking for signs of an actual burn is a good one.

One other approach could be to use your original burning software, say Nero, and get it to report any disk information. Are you sure this is a CDR and not a CDRW? Was the disk definitely accessed at some point in time or was an actual verification used when it was originally burned. For the future, always verify all CD burns, well I do having had my fingers and not my CDs burned in the past.
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Quote Originally Posted by Fruss Tray Ted View Post
    Can you see a line where the burn ended on the CD?
    Sure i do. And.. No, i cannot copy it on the HDD because it says that is blank

If that is the case it probably is a blank disk and the disk is not the disk you think it is or the original burn never took place. .
    That is the disk. It always worked in the past. When i burn something, i test it and label it straight away to be sure to not to mess up anything.

As i said that it did work in the past (even 2 or 3 weeks ago) i can confirm that yes, the burn did take place at the time.

Anyway, i'll try to get all the infos about that disc and see if some program can see at least a trace of life on it.. I have to say that, at the time, i didn't have the burner that i have now which is the Plextor PX760A. That cannot betray, it never did. All the cds-dvds that i'm burning now (verbatim most of all) have an percentage of error of 0.001% using plextor tools. At the moment i'm not even able to run a test on that cd still for the same reason: Blank

Thank you so much guys for your responses. Please, if you have any idea, even the simplest one, don't hesitate to post it here! Thank you all!

If isobuster sees it as a blank disk then the data tracks on the disk must appear to it (and to windows for that matter) as having been not written-to; or effectively all zeros. You say you have tried this in other drives and PCs but that you no longer have the original burner drive. Using the original is the only other way that some sort of compatibility/incompatibility might be overcome. After that all I can suggest are professional recovery services. I would however also try isobuster in a different PC.

All disks will exhibit a color change between burned/not burned areas...is there a change?
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

You say you have tried this in other drives and PCs but that you no longer have the original burner drive.
    Yea.. i don't have the burned that i used to burn that cd.. It was a burner on a laptop that i sold and i have no opportunity to even borrow it to try to put the cd in, see it it works and transfer the entire folder on a thumb drive

Quote Originally Posted by mjc View Post
    All disks will exhibit a color change between burned/not burned areas...is there a change?
    Yes, as i wrote above to answer i do see the line between the burned area and the original blank-untouched area of the cd...

Well - I'm really out of ideas but one final question. Does the disk behave like a normal blank disk when inserted into the drive? That is to say does windows open up a dialog box prompting you what to do with the drive - as it does by default in all recent versions of windows.

Hi,

so finally i'm here to give you an update. I've followed your suggestion and so i tried on a different computer. Surprisingly, with Isobuster, taking such a long time, it gave me a trace of life. Of course many sectors are damaged but i got (with a lot of patience and hard work for my Plextor) to recover more than a thousands jpgs and i can say that it retrieved pretty much everything!

Of course the first thing that i did it was exporting the entire content of that cd and save it on the hard drive. So.. end of the dilemma

To answer your last question, yes when i was going to insert the cd it was giving me the default window with the request of action with a blank cd inserted.

I tried on a WinXP OS computer with my Plextor and.. as always.. It never left me with any problems

Thank you so very much for all the suggestions you guys gave me.. Mission accomplished!

That's great. I had emailed isobuster support for any further advice but any such referenced advice is obviously now redundant. I was delighted, by the speed and active interest that they took in this matter. It is great software.

Isobuster's final thoughts on the reasons were emailed to me.

The disc was clearly written very marginally (*). Wrong strategy, Wrong laser power, bad disc, worped, wrong atip info, bad drive ... many possible reasons.
    And so the disc was very likely "out of spec". Commercial drives need to be able to read what is "within specifications" and most of them do. The optics, drive itself etc. are calibrated for that at the end of the production line.
    But of course some drives can still read what others can't read anymore, so even discs that are "out of spec" because their optics are better or the drive was designed around a better chip, or firmware that happens to just be able to compensate for that particular (whatever) issue etc.
    But even for drives with the same hardware and firmware, there are variations possible, because the optics and pickup can be within an acceptable range, and drives leaving the production line with best of all components and a good calibration may be able to deal with worse discs than similar drives that have a lesser (yet still within spec) lens etc. etc. (yet all these drives are still able to read "what is within spec").

All that said ... Plextor drives still have a very good reputation (eventhough they had batches and types of drives that were not that great either).

* If not written outside spec, it may have been close to that then, and maybe disc degradation or exposure to the sun or other elements may have pushed it over the edge.

Thread Information