Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: CCleaner vs Glary Utilities

CCleaner vs Glary Utilities

I wanting to know what you guys think. I have used CCleaner for some time now. Also I use it on my customer PC's. I ran into Glary Utilities. I like them both. I like GU's registry defragger which CCleaner don't have. Its a close toss up? I would like to stick to one.

Thanks,

John

31 views....and nobody says one single word...geesh

I have been using CCleaner for years and it does its job quite well, it is updated regularly, and it is free. What more can you ask? I am wary of over aggressive reg cleaners and have no reason to try a new one. So that is more than likely the reason no one is commenting, no one wants to try Glary.

Just took a look and it has a good rating at Major Geeks. I am due for a system image so will make one later then give it a try. Will post back to give my opinion later.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

The main problem I see with Glary is it wants you to install ASK toolbar without giveing you an option to opt out!! No thanks I'm happy with Ccleaner
    Want my weapons molon labe

Quote Originally Posted by YODA74 View Post
    The main problem I see with Glary is it wants you to install ASK toolbar without giveing you an option to opt out!! No thanks I'm happy with Ccleaner

Ya, I noticed that also. I didn't like that at all. I just got done removing Glary.

Not going to bother installing it if it makes you install a toolbar.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    Corsair TX850M
    12x BD-ROM

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

I have CCleaner and Norton Utilities. They seem to both find all the same stuff. CCleaner is more informative about the problems it finds, but both are scant on what to do about them. Is there ever a reason I would not want to remove a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Savina View Post
    Is there ever a reason I would not want to remove a problem?
    There could be. For instance, right now CCleaner comes up with an invalid file type, or something like that, but it is a compressed file type for a game I have installed. I don't want to remove that. It's actually just a zip file, but they add a couple letters onto it to make it just for the game.

Another one, I always uncheck 'unused file extensions'. Just because I may have uninstalled a program doesn't necessarily mean I want the extension that was associated with it removed from the system. Several years ago I used a free trial and created some files with it, when the trial was over the files were still of use to me until CCleaner removed the extension and the system no longer recognized the file type and they became useless until I installed it again. Been unchecking that option ever since.

You should always at least take a cursory look through the reg entries. And of course always use the backup option.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    Corsair TX850M
    12x BD-ROM

- Albert Einstein

Thumbs up

I am not familiar with Glary I have heard of it but never tried it out. I have been using CCleaner for about four years now and like jlreich noted, I like the frequent updates that is has. Never had a problem and you can set it to you to do what you want.

I have used Glary Utilities for years and never had a problem with it. The comments about the Ask toolbar are untrue. You can choose to not install it. I have never had the Ask toolbar installed and I have Glary Utilities installed on multiple machines.

I run Glary Utilites and Revo Uninstaller on all my new builds. I installed CC cleaner once and realized it looked like the exact same program as Glary so I uninstalled it because of redundancy.

I've been using Glary Utilities for the past three months and have had no problems with it. I do not have the Ask Toolbar so it must have given me the option of installing or not installing it--I don't remember. But, I don't have it on now. I use both, CCleaner and Glary and I have always wondered about it since I can run CCleaner and it might find two or three Registry Entries. I will then run Glary and it will find dozens of them--sometimes close to 100. I always choose to fix the errors (remove the registry entries) and have had no problems. But I've always wondered why if after running CCleaner, Glary will find many, many more. It makes me have second thought about using it as I think it may be too aggressive. But again, I've had no problems with it.
    So, I wonder if it is, in fact, too aggressive or is it that CCleaner is not aggressive enough.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    No One Stands So Tall As When They Stoop To Help A Child.
    Life is more accurately measured by the lives you touch than by the things you acquire.
    ~Author unknown~

Thread Information