Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: MS WebcheckMonitor

Post MS WebcheckMonitor

I've just run SisoftSandra & it advises 'MS_WebcheckMonitor consumes a huge ammount of memory'

What is it ? what does it do ? & Where is it ? so that I can disable it or whatever.

I have not had this come up in SisoftSandra before, I can't find it nor know where its come from.

------------------
    for every question there's an answer. Then a load more questions.

Regards..,
    Vic.

Definition of Upgrade "A means of introducing new bugs to a program to replace the ones that you have eventually found fixes for"

Regards..,
    Vic.

-- Wisconsin, U S A -- Ahh, The Power of Cheese !

Windows version ???

------------------
    "I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    -- Charles Babbage, mathematician, computer pioneer, analytical engine designer (1791-1871)
    -- (Question: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?')

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand."
    -- Homer Simpson
    "I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    -- Charles Babbage, mathematician, computer pioneer, analytical engine designer (1791-1871)
    -- (Question: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?')

-- Homer Simpson

This ComputerGripes link might help. Scroll down to The mysterious boot time program loadwc.exe.

------------------
    reido@my-deja.com

Friends don't let friends install Windows ME

[This message has been edited by Reid (edited 06-16-2001).]

Blog Entries

A search for WebCheck Monitor on Google turned up this as the 2nd hit from the MS Tech Net.

IT Utils came up as the first hit, they have an application that apparently monitors the status of your website, called...Web Check...what else...

Program Files.com came up with another one answering to the same name...

That's only from the first two pages of results, I bet you can find more...Maybe not a lot of help, but at least you have something to go on now...

------------------
    So many idiots, and only six bullets...
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

/s w98:

Most of the search results returned for web check find progs which could be useful, but run in a window & have to be bought, downloaded & set up, so its not one of them.

I go with the loadwc.exe theory i.e. load webcheck, but little seems to be known about it. I have noticed this running on previous occasions when pressing alt/ctrl/delete to end tasks & wondered what it did. Easy enough to disable though. BUT. I've just checked Sandra again & it is now not reporting anything about MS_webcheck. Nor is loadwc running, yet I assume that this has been running in the past (as it always seemed to be in the close prog box) when I have done a test with Sandra. Nor has it ever come up on Pitstop.

I shall do nothing for the moment exept for monitor this more frequently to see if it comes up again & take it from there.

something I have noticed though is that progs do not always do what they say, eg. where you have an option to have a prog start from boot (or not) if you disable the option I'm finding that they still start, Zonealarm is one.
    Historykill doesn't actually come on at start, but once you start it, it continues to run even after you shut it down, so you have have to bring up the close prog box (ctrl/alt/delete) & close it from there.

Makes me wonder what goes on inside the machine in total secret,!!

Since connecting to the net 2 progs have started: Slights & Rnaapp. Now Rnaapp is a dial up prog to access the net (which I have found some folk have had problems with) but what is Slights?

------------------

Regards..,
    Vic.

Definition of Upgrade "A means of introducing new bugs to a program to replace the ones that you have eventually found fixes for"

Regards..,
    Vic.

-- Wisconsin, U S A -- Ahh, The Power of Cheese !

Try this for the Webcheck thing:

In Internet Explorer, click File. Is there a check in front of 'Work Offline'?

If yes, click it again to clear, then see if this stops Webcheck
    from loading/running the next time you boot up or log on to the net.

------------------

-- Homer Simpson

-- Homer Simpson

No, there is no check against 'work offline' & I can't think that I've ever checked (ticked)it. But assuming that loadwc.exe is the culprit, that hasn't reared its ugly head since either, either on or off line.

------------------

Regards..,
    Vic.

Regards..,
    Vic.

Thread Information