Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: REPAIR MY PC AFTER TROJAN HORSE VIRUS

Red face REPAIR MY PC AFTER TROJAN HORSE VIRUS

MY PC GOT THE BUDDYLIST AND REGISTRY TROJAN HORSE VIRUS AND NOW I DO NOT HAVE WINDOWS OR ANYTHING EXCEPT THE C PROMPT BUT I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO GET ANYTHING BACK INCLUDING MY WINDOWS. WHAT CAN I DO.

Sounds like it's time for a full Fdisk, format proceedure. What are the specs on your machine? Have you got your restore disks, or boot disk and OS cd. I favor formatting but there may be some better advice comming from some of the others here.
    Hang in there, we'll get it fixed up soon.

------------------
    If your not living on the edge, your taking up to much space!
    If all we ever give is equal to that of which we get, how do we ever progress beyond that of which we are?
    Uncle Crustys

Basically to recover from a virus that hit that you hard a format and restore is the way to go. Your startup disk should be from a known "clean" machine. You can also try to recover with an emergency disk from your Anti-virus software.

------------------
    mjc
    To ME or NOT to ME....
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Like the others say reformatting would be my option, but if you dont have the stuff or know-how it can be bothersome. Depending on the Antivirus software you use, you can usually get specific advice from them. Go to their web site and see if you find something about the virus you found.

------------------
    Jerry

B E F O R E you start reformatting your drive (which will wipe EVERYTHING you have on the hard drive) do this: Get a bootable Win 98 disk and insert it........it will come to a A prompt.......type C: and hit enter.....then type Dir/p too see if you have all of your directories still......if you do still have directories and want to SAVE any work you have previously done or try a Dos virus program......you will be able to do it in Dos. Post back whether you have anything you want to save from the old setup and someone will help you here. If you just want to start over fresh and not save anything.....I would follow the previous instructions given in the above posts.

------------------
    "As hard as a rock & dumb as a brick"...Windows CEMeNT
    XP didn't save Me !

If you haven't done anything already, there is a program for cleaning TROJAN for downloading at Freeserve, click on anti virus there and you'll find it listed.

------------------
    Regards..,
    Vic.
    for every question there's an answer. Then a load more questions.

Definition of Upgrade "A means of introducing new bugs to a program to replace the ones that you have eventually found fixes for"

Regards..,
    Vic.

Unhappy

tried all this and I am missing some .ddl files and .exe files and I have no access to windows and cannot use my a or c drive at all. Nothing seems to work in Safe Mode.

The question remains.........DO YOU WANT TO SAVE ANYTHING OFF THE INFECTED MACHINE??? If the answer is yes......based on what you have told us already, it will be possible; however, you will have to reload Windows...almost for certain.

------------------
    Will XP save Me ?
    XP didn't save Me !

KMEZA40, you added to an old post, your current thread (for the same problem) is here.

------------------
    reido@my-deja.com

Friends don't let friends install Windows ME

[This message has been edited by Reid (edited 06-29-2001).]

Blog Entries

Thanks Reid, I thought this was a duplicate soon as it started.

KMEZA: Please keep your questions in one topic. We're already trying to deal with it in the previous one. This one will be closed.

------------------
    So many idiots, and only six bullets...
    Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Thread Information