Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: magnetized screw driver

magnetized screw driver

I have a screw driver that is magnetized which I don't like. Isn't there a way to de-magnetize it? Thanks
    ~Frank~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    No One Stands So Tall As When They Stoop To Help A Child.
    Life is more accurately measured by the lives you touch than by the things you acquire.
    ~Author unknown~

How was it magnetized?
    If you used a doughnut magnetizer, wipe the tip on the outside of the magnetizer to demagnetize it.
    Another solution would be to use an old tape head de-magnetizer from the cassette days.

Magnetized screwdrivers are so much better than ordinary ones. Why wouldn't you want one over a normal one?
    IBM ThinkPad A21p - 850MHz Pentium III, 512mb RAM, 16mb ATI Rage Mobility 128, 30GB HD, 98SE/2000 Pro
    Lenovo ThinkPad W530 - i7 3720QM Quad Core, 32GB RAM, 2GB NVIDIA K1000M, 128GB M4 SSD, 500GBHD, 7-64 Pro
    Desktop - i7 3770K Quad Core, Noctua NH-D14, 550W PSU, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD 7870, 256GB 840 SSD, 1TB HD, 7-64 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 123456 View Post
    Magnetized screwdrivers are so much better than ordinary ones. Why wouldn't you want one over a normal one?
    For one reason, it's the screw driver I use when working on my computer, and I don't think it's a good idea to work with a computer using anything that is magnetized. The other reason is that I just don't like it.
    Life is more accurately measured by the lives you touch than by the things you acquire.
    ~Author unknown~

Quote Originally Posted by PrntRhd View Post
    How was it magnetized?
    If you used a doughnut magnetize, wipe the tip on the outside of the magnetize to demagnetize it.
    Another solution would be to use an old tape head de-magnetize from the cassette days.
    I'm not sure how it got magnetized, but now that you mentioned the doughnut magnetize, I think I have one. I'm going to take a look for it.
    ~Author unknown~

As long as you don't let a magnetized screwdriver rest, for an extended period of time (a few hours at least), on a hard drive, there's not much it's going to do to a computer.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Quote Originally Posted by mjc View Post
    As long as you don't let a magnetized screwdriver rest, for an extended period of time (a few hours at least), on a hard drive, there's not much it's going to do to a computer.
    Yep, I use them every day at work on computers and at home. Couldn't live without one. If I get one that isn't magnetized I make it magnetized.
    8 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

if you want to de-magnetize it, you can always bake it for a bit, or hit it repetitively with something (a little force is needed so I can't guarantee that it will be usable...) I would not bake it at extremely hot temperatures that melt plastic, but a little hotter then the outside temp I wouldn't use anything that's warmer then boiling water....) and it should de-magnetize.

Then my friend must be right. I have a good friend who works in the computer department of one of our local colleges. He was helping me with my computer one day and asked me for a small screw drive. I told him that the only small one I had was magnetized. He said, "That's OK." I said, "I thought you weren't supposed to use a magnetized screw driver in a computer." He said, "You've been reading too many books." I thought that he was just kidding me. So, I'm going to take your word for it. Thanks for the information.
    ~Author unknown~

Hard drive platters are fully enclosed in metal casings which prevent almost all kinds of EM radiation from reaching the platters, and it's been that way since the wee days of computing. The only hard drives I ever saw with plastic lids were 1990 and 1991-vintage Conner Peripherals drives. Doubtless there were other unshielded drives manufactured at some point, but I haven't seen any.

Even with the plastic lid, the magnetized screwdriver isn't powerful enough to mess with the data on the platters. However, I think floppies would be suspectible to the screwdriver - I'd try this theory out if I had a magnetized screwdriver kicking around.

It's more of messing with spindle and heads than the data...and/or causing dust/debris to pile up in one spot than data on the platter being erased. And I did say it had to be there for an extended period of time.

And yes, I have first hand experience with low strength magnets messing with floppies...
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

Floppies are very susceptible to magnetism and unreliable to begin with.
    8 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    Corsair TX850M
    12x BD-ROM

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

My mother once put a floppy 'up' with a magnet on the refrigerator...and then wondered why it wasn't working...

Rotflmao!!!
    8 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    Corsair TX850M
    12x BD-ROM

- Albert Einstein

that's just as bad as a cd drive being used as a cup holder (except I can see that one actually working if you custom made the drive yourself...)

Needless to say i just shook my head and kept my mouth shut...

Hard drive platters are fully enclosed in metal casings which prevent almost all kinds of EM radiation from reaching the platters
    Sorry, but this isn't true. There is exactly one known insulator for a magnetic field, and that is distance. As far as radiation goes, electro-static energy can be grounded out, thereby shutting out the RF as in a faraday cage. But it's not effective against magnetism alone.
    “The highest glory of the American Revolution was this: It connected in one indissoluble bond, the principles of civil government with those of Christianity." -John Quincy Adams

Needless to say i just shook my head and kept my mouth shut...
    A very wise man you are!
    ~Author unknown~

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankSG View Post
    A very wise man you are!
    Indeed, sometimes wisdom shows itself in what you choose not to say...
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

Thread Information