Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Aol will not install

Aol will not install

Funny thing huppens,

My aol program stoped working, unistalled it, downloaded again 9.0, tried to Install it but I get a full screen of foto below, & canot close it unless I use CTL ALT DEL, & the "restart" small window comes up to repeat all over again.

AOL say it is a PC problem & cannot help.

PC has 2 Mem sticks 2GB each (shee second foro), & my HD has:-
    C:/ 13GB free space

and the other 4 partitions have from 1.3GB to 23GB.

Anybody had same problem?

as said above:- "....C:/ 13GB free space and the other 4 partitions have from 1.3GB to 23GB......".

And AOL was always running OK with that amount of free space.

I'm happy for you. Really. I am.

Why on earth do you really want AOHell?

The ONLY reason for it I could see is if someone had some email still on their servers that needs retrieving then uninstalling. JMHO

Sorry about that,

I had the best deal available in their "AOL TALK" for Unlimited Fone calls, fone Line & fast B.Band at 21.49 a month for many years now, & found the free 24hr help tel calls quite helpful.

I use IE, & only use the AOL program to check various things with in it, ie my account& billing.

Can anybody give technical advise on what is the problem.

PS: can not understand this, why do I do it? :-"....what about page file have you tried manually setting your page file rather than system managed ? ....."

nichos,

I'm not 100% sure if this fix will work in your instance, but you could try downloading and running a low memory fix provided by AOL. You can find details of it here.
    "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" ~ Ben Franklin

thanx,

it says I have no low mem problems.

Okay, so did you try running the installation process again to see if the same error occurs?

As long as you are getting on line OK I would dump the AOL browser and just log-on to your AOL account with any browser, including Internet Explorer, at http://www.aol.com

I had an uncle who persisted with using the AOL software long after its best-by-date and there were unending problems till I got him converted to access in the above manner. Either uninstall it if it is causing problems or minimize it and use an alternative browser for access to your account.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

I always do that, but the vidal "itemised calls" I am charged for can only be checked through the full program.

I have done all the suscribers here sugested, 4-5 times with no success.

PS. even removed, cleaned & replace the Mem sticks.

Paul,

I feel the same way, since my wife insists upon keeping her AOL account, despite me offering to move everything to Outlook and use her ISP account. The AOL software is a piece of crap as far as I'm concerned, so she goes through IE to access her information.

nichos,

Since my previous suggestion didn't work, I'll have another look at this to see if there's any other suggestions I can make for you.

nichos,

I noticed you mentioned AOL 9.0 in your initial message. Have you tried downloading and installing V9.6?

Thanx all,

in desperation after trying all everybody said 4-5 I found my old AOL 9 cd & it installed OK.

So Ill see if I can get the itemised calles in this one.

BTW v(.6 says "desktop" & did not work any way.

SOLVED.....sort of.

Thanx all,

in desperation after trying all everybody said 4-5 times I found my old AOL-9 cd & it installed OK.

So I'll see if I can get the itemised calls viewing in this one

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, nichos. In previous times when I was attempting to install different iterations of the AOL software on my PC for my wife (Vista 64-bit at the time), I had nothing but headaches with it. I haven't tried it on Win 7, nor will I even attempt to do so. It's just crap as far as I'm concerned.

Solved Properly now

I managed to install normally AOL 9.5.

http://forums.techarena.in/technolog...et/1232687.htm

This link made me try & delete the "Data Execution Prevention" & the latest AOL 9.5 prog installed from the net & working OK.

I went back though & Turned on thid DEP thing.

Thread Information