Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: I hate Windows 7.

I hate Windows 7.

Hi, there, I am here because I need some help, trying to do some things in Windows 7. I recently bought a laptop computer and built a new desktop and because I wanted to have 3D capability, after doing some research I found that I would have to install Windows 7 or Windows Vista, though I was perfectly happy with XP.

I have found that there are several things that I cannot find the answer to, one being the merging of drag and drop folders with folders of the same name in the users (users name) file. On both computers, I tried to drag and drop copies of the files from my old XP system, (in particular the My Music file and the My Pictures file) and instead of merging with the existing files in my home folder, it created a second file that has the same name. One thing I noticed was that in the side margine file tree the second My Pictures file was listed as My Pictures (C), and when I tried to change the name there, it would only give me access to the "My Pictures" part of that name.

I tried to find the area on the program that would allow me to show file roots to see what the system had changed so I could force the merge of the files, and there doesn't seem to be any tools menu on the windows to access and show that, by default, hidden information.

The other thing I am having problems with is the visualizations on the media player, which doesn't seem to be usable by default. I really hate the way that Microsoft has made what use to be simple into a really difficult problem. What could possibly possess the Microsoft engineers to make these kinds of rediculous changes? I really hate this new operating system, and I would have prefered to not have had to upgrade to it, but, now that I have to have it, I need some help. Anybody who knows the answers to these problems please feel free to answer up, I am tired of beating my head against this digital wall.

I don't think windows7 is that much of bad as windows vista. Those who upgrade their OS prefer to choose windows7(windows os).

Could you post a screenshot of what you're trying to accomplish? I'm having a hard time visualizing it...
    Don't fear the penguin - www.slackware.com

Blog Entries
    One major thing that MS changed with Vista/7 is exactly what everyone was clamoring for them to change: the security. For those of us in IT, this is a long-overdue change that finally exposes all those bad programs from the WinXP era that want unrestricted access to the root of the C: drive! REALLY!?!?

The problem with this added security in a home setting is that the only user account with unrestricted access to the system is turned off by default. The main administrator account does not exist on Vista/7 outside of Audit Mode and the OOBE wizard. (For more information, do a search for "windows 7 god mode".) However, if you are using an admin account on your 7 systems (highly likely unless you manually changed things) you can run through the procedure to take ownership of any folders to which you need unrestricted access. Like any good security system, though, it is no easy task to circumvent it. I would suggest taking a look at "god mode" first to see if that solution is more to your liking.

saphalline,

For those of us in IT, this is a long-overdue change that finally exposes all those bad programs from the WinXP era that want unrestricted access to the root of the C: drive! REALLY!?!?
    Hear, hear! We're in a transitional phase of replacing old XP Pro PCs with Win 7 Pro 64-bit PCs, and my predecessor often would set up the users to have administrative access on the desktops. Cue lots of problems with viruses, as people clicked on dubious links like chickens pecking at corn. They're not happy at the security methods implemented in Win 7, but that's too bad.

I had one user complain they didn't have the rights to install iTunes on their PC, and I asked them why they wanted to do that in the first place. The answer? "So I can put my songs on my PC and listen to them at work." My eyebrow was arched higher than Spock's when I explained company policies and also copyright issues.
    "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" ~ Ben Franklin

"So I can put my songs on my PC and listen to them at work." My eyebrow was arched higher than Spock's when I explained company policies and also copyright issues.

Hmm lets see Maybe your company has restrictions but some may not!! I allow my people to listen to music that they bring from home or their Ipods. As long as the work is done and it always is. As far as copyright issues as long as it is legally obtained I do not have a problem with it there are really no copright issues putting the music you paid for on any pc you choose fit I personally have 6 computers in my own home and they all have every song I have ever purchased and I have over 3000 cd's with music I paid for and they are on every computer. So whats the diff??? I will put my music on any pc that I choose as long as I'm not makining a profit off them and there is nothing anyone can do about it legally!!!
    Want my weapons molon labe

Quote Originally Posted by saphalline View Post
    One major thing that MS changed with Vista/7 is exactly what everyone was clamoring for them to change: the security. For those of us in IT, this is a long-overdue change that finally exposes all those bad programs from the WinXP era that want unrestricted access to the root of the C: drive! REALLY!?!?
    Problem is, that MS created THAT mess, by allowing it for so long...DOS/Win3.x all the way through XP (and yeah, even NT/2k). That was the 'accepted' way for Windows programming...and EVERYONE did it (well, except for a few companies/individuals that started in Unix coding).

Another problem with what MS has done...'one size fits all'. Not every machine is a 'home' PC, nor does it have multiple users/accounts (or needs them). Then they made it rather draconian...and it really hasn't slowed malware down all that much (but at the same time, in some ways it has made removal of malware harder...or easier...just break out the restore disk/partition and wipe/rinstall). Yeah, 'god mode' is great and all that...but, there aren't that many that will even hear about it, let alone be able to implement it.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Windows7 machines are certainly not exempt from being stuffed full of spyware. Well that's been my experience to date.

As for UAC - I just cant stand it.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

YODA,

Let's just say when it comes to copyright issues vis-à-vis MP3s and company PCs, we're being "economic with the actualité". It merely helps to reinforce the point, even if it's not entirely truthful.

We have enough on our plates dealing with work-related issues, rather than someone deciding they want to call us and have iTunes installed, backing up their 50GB+ MP3 collections to our servers, and so forth.

Paul,

As for UAC - I just cant stand it.
    I just turn the damned thing off every time. I can understand - partly - why Microsoft took this route, but it's more of an annoyance to us who know what we're doing.

I obtained a new desktop late last year with Windows 7 and it was quite challenging to get used to it after having Windows XP, but now it is fine. Good luck to you.
    "Knowledge is Power" -- Francis Bacon

To the OP:

Can't you just open the copied "My xxx" folder (I think you meant folder here),
    select all the files/folders there in (ctrl-a),
    cut all files/folder (ctrl-x)
    paste into the system "My xxx" folder
    delete the now empty duplicate folder.
    ?

(BTW - I guess this is similar to the first problem I encountered with W7, I pasted a folder to the "C" root and then could not edit or delete it...?)

MP visualizations? I tiered of those long ago, but i'm curious how hard they are to change, so maybe I'll have to take a look...I don't use MP though as I find MPC-HC more favorable.

Blog Entries
    Meh... semantics...

7 is a very secure version of Windows. Is it secure enough to protect people from themselves? No. But it also does not allow users to just do whatever the heck they want, like XP did. It does TRY to protect people, so you have to give it that.

As to the UAC and other annoyances - well, if you "know what you are doing", then you know how to turn it off! Do a Google search, learn how to get around it, done. Heck, MS makes it easy compared to Ubuntu, which seems to like changing a third of the system every 6 months. At least with the UAC, you only had to learn to turn it off once in the past two and a half years.

Still... it amazes me what passes for defaults in modern software...

I'm not sure what you guys are all complaining about to be honest. I use Windows 7 all day, every day (at home and at work) and I rarely see that UAC window pop up. It's a billion times better than it was in Vista.
    Don't fear the penguin - www.slackware.com

Blog Entries
    And you get a free popsicle with every computer!

It should be that way...

Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by E-Tramp View Post
    Hi, there, I am here because I need some help, trying to do some things in Windows 7. I recently bought a laptop computer and built a new desktop and because I wanted to have 3D capability, after doing some research I found that I would have to install Windows 7 or Windows Vista, though I was perfectly happy with XP.

I have found that there are several things that I cannot find the answer to, one being the merging of drag and drop folders with folders of the same name in the users (users name) file. On both computers, I tried to drag and drop copies of the files from my old XP system, (in particular the My Music file and the My Pictures file) and instead of merging with the existing files in my home folder, it created a second file that has the same name. One thing I noticed was that in the side margine file tree the second My Pictures file was listed as My Pictures (C), and when I tried to change the name there, it would only give me access to the "My Pictures" part of that name.

I tried to find the area on the program that would allow me to show file roots to see what the system had changed so I could force the merge of the files, and there doesn't seem to be any tools menu on the windows to access and show that, by default, hidden information.

The other thing I am having problems with is the visualizations on the media player, which doesn't seem to be usable by default. I really hate the way that Microsoft has made what use to be simple into a really difficult problem. What could possibly possess the Microsoft engineers to make these kinds of rediculous changes? I really hate this new operating system, and I would have prefered to not have had to upgrade to it, but, now that I have to have it, I need some help. Anybody who knows the answers to these problems please feel free to answer up, I am tired of beating my head against this digital wall.
    You are not alone --- I too hate Windows 7 and wish I had XP again!
    trapper

Quote Originally Posted by mjc View Post
    ... Then they made it rather draconian...and it really hasn't slowed malware down all that much...
    Micro$oft's approach to security can be so irksome that users turn off security features. Virus writers managed to understand and circumvent security measures, whereas the same security measures foiled legitimate users from making productive use of their PC's.

By the way the "god mode" thing works in Vista as well. But don't make a God Mode folder like in 7 or it will crash explorer. I had to go into ubuntu and delete the folder to get explorer back.

But type/paste shell:::{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C} into explorer and it will bring up "All Tasks". You should see an "All Tasks" icon on the left hand navigation pane, just drag that onto your desktop to create a shortcut.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

Thread Information