Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: CD Burner and CD ROM configuration

Post CD Burner and CD ROM configuration

What's the best way to configure my CD-Burn and CD-ROM currently I have them both on the same IDE cable on the secondary. I want to be able to copy CD to CD. Thanks.

Lightbulb

You've got it already configured correctly.

You should never place an ATAPI device on the same controller as your Hard drive because it will limit the data transfer rate on the controller for that item; ie..ATAPI devices transfer data at a standard rate of 33 MB's per sec, whereas most Hard drives are 66-100 burst rates and transfer data in the 35-50 MB's per sec standard rate. So if you put a CD/DVD device on the primary controller with your Hard drive it will slow it's data transfer rate down to the slower ATAPI device.

For the exact config i would place the fastest read time CD device as master ( if your player has a data transfer rate higher than the burner, like 52X vs 40X ) then make it master.

------------------
    iisbob

CPU= 5mhz
    Memory= 16 K
    Storage=10.2MB's
    Video=Onboard S3 4K
    Modem=14.4 baud
    Sound=ISA Yamaha 8bit
    Mouse=2 button MS
    Monitor=ACER 12.5"
    OS= WIN 3.1

My ultimate gaming system
    iisbob

Read in a message board of a local BBS: "I try to avoid using Microsoft. That's why I use MS-DOS."

in the current configuation I have it set up as... with the CDRom (which is 48X) as the secondary slave and the CD-Burner (12x10x32x)as the secondary master, I can't copy CD to CD with both drives on one IDE Cable. And their are only 2 IDE channels on my motherboard (AOpen MK33). So how would that be set up? Thanks.

You have it set up correctly. One thing, make the cd burner the master and the other cd rom the slave.

Stealer

Lightbulb

If you are using NERO it will tell you not to do it. But I do not listen very well so I do it, have not had a coaster yet.

------------------
    One day I will be a pro, Thanks Andy
    One day I will be a pro, Thanks Andy

Hey Thanks Andy,

Me too. Am using Nero along with a burn-proof writer and I just click on through. No coasters.

Sorry about the salutation. Just every time I see it, it makes me think it's a first and last name or something. Might want to consider putting a comma between thanks and Andy. Just pickin on ya.

MepsasFlip your configuration around so that the ROM is Master and the burner is Slave. If you have the option, try copying to the harddrive as a middle step for copying one CD to the other. It will take longer, but will assure a hassle free burn. If you have a burn proof unit though, never mind. Just go ahead with the burn and make sure you don't have a lot of other programs running.

Stealer: Say what??

BB 66

------------------
    This space reserved for highly intelligent observations and witty remarks.

"So much in love with us are we, you could kiss you and I could kiss me"

"Well,it was hard pulling that one wheel wagon around"
    ---- Tommy Smothers

[This message has been edited by BigBlue66 (edited 01-17-2002).]

[This message has been edited by BigBlue66 (edited 01-17-2002).]
    This space reserved for highly intelligent observations and witty remarks.

Effort & Courage are not enough without Purpose and Direction.

---- Auther Unknown

Thread Information