Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Sony SDT-5000 Tape Drive

Unhappy Sony SDT-5000 Tape Drive

Disaster has overtaken me! I've got 20 gigs of files on tapes - now my drive has decided to **** **!

I did a Registry Files Optimization with Norton System Works (OS Win98). When the system rebooted the tape drive self-test indicated a 'Drive Mechanism Failure' (flashing status indicator) and the tape indicator stayed on. There was, of course, no tape in it. The drive had not been used for a couple of days. I can see no way that the optimization should affect the tape drive - so the failure of the drive is probably co-incidental. The drive has a 'load' screw - so I loaded a tape into it (power off) then powered up. The drive went through the normal operating process, ran the tape, and then ejected it - leaving the status indicator flashing and the tape indicator on!

Ahhhhh! ******* ****** **** ***** !!!

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Newton's Cat

Exclamation

Hey Newt,

First place I would start is to go back to Norton. Run the hardware diagnostics module within SystemWorks.

I think you're right. A registry optimization should not have affected the tape drive.

If Norton doesn't find anything, check your Device Manager for yellow flags.

Let us know what happens.

Cheers,

Big Blue 66
    This space reserved for highly intelligent observations and witty remarks.

Effort & Courage are not enough without Purpose and Direction.

---- Auther Unknown

Thread Information