Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Can Corel WP Office open MS docx and pptx files?

Can Corel WP Office open MS docx and pptx files?

And, if so, does WordPerfect Office preserve most of the formatting, or does it essentially just convert it to text?

It depends on the version of WordPerfect and the Version of Office and the level and complication of the document.
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

Sorry I didn't specify the versions, but since only MS Office 2007 produces docx and pptx files, this was implied. As for WordPerfect Office, I wasn't expecting anything except the current version (I believe this is X3) to possibly open an Office 2007 docx or pptx file.

Given these versions for the respective tools, will WP Office X3 open Office 2007 docx and pptx?

The "level and complication" of a document is a quite subjective term since different people may have different ideas of what constitutes a "complicated" document. But I would say in general, for the docx assume a document with a table of contents, several pages of text with one main font but with headings that have different font sizes than the body text, and a couple of fairly straightforward tables. For the pptx, assume mostly simple slides but with at least a few graphical charts along the way.

I would check with Corel. I have only started to play to X3 and I have no experience with Office 2007, sorry....
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

If you have a copy of WP Office X3, can you try this: In WP, do an 'Open', and in the Open dialog box, there is an optional selection to filter by filetype. Does 'docx' show up as a type of file that can be filtered on? (The associated description would probably say "Word 2007 document" or something like that.)

If WP supports docx, I believe this filetype will show up as a selection here even if you do not have Word 2007 installed on your computer. For example, the corresponding dialog box in MS Word includes some filetypes for which I do not have applications installed on my computer.

Whether the docx filetype selection shows up on the WP Open dialog speaks volumes about whether WP supports opening it. It may not be the final story on how good the conversion is, but it's a start.

If WP can open docx files, my next question would be, does the WP "Save As" dialog show this filetype? WP may support some filetypes where it can open a file but not produce such a file.

(FYI, I'm thinking about buying WP Office, but one of my criteria is that it will have at least rudimentary support for Office 2007 files.)

Thanks!

RESOLVED: Can Corel WP Office open MS docx and pptx files?

I contacted Corel Tech support, and they told me that WP Office X3 does not support the MS Office 2007 filetypes but MS Office 2003 files must be used to interface with WP Office X3.

Thread Information