PDA

View Full Version : Broken CMOS battery clip

blgullett
12-08-2000, 03:55 PM
I have accidentally broken the clip that holds the CMOS battery in place on the motherboard. Anyone have any work arounds? Thanks in advance.

BobD
12-08-2000, 04:00 PM
Solder some metal in place of the original. Old computer or something from around the house. You just need a conductor!

blgullett
12-08-2000, 04:06 PM
It broke off flush with the black plastic holder. Should i just get some to put a blob of solder between the breakoff point and the battery? Thanks for your response.

Originally posted by BobD:
Solder some metal in place of the original. Old computer or something from around the house. You just need a conductor!

Reid
12-08-2000, 09:57 PM
It sounds like there is not much metal to solder to, and multi-layer PC boards can be damaged by resoldering. The battery could also explode if you attempt to solder directly to it. What I would try is: buy a battery holder (http://www.jdr.com/interact/item.asp?itemno=3V-MHW), then solder wire leads, with alligator clips on the other end, to the new socket, then clip the leads onto the contacts of the old holder. You might need to cut away some of the old holder, with diagonal cutters, so you have enough surface for the clip to grip.

I don't have a board handy right now to check out if this idea will work, but I'll see what the guys think about it http://www.PCGuide.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
reido@my-deja.com

[This message has been edited by Reid (edited 12-08-2000).]

Rick
12-08-2000, 10:13 PM
Check you mother board.
You should find a place to connect an external battery pack.
Most are found on the rear of the M/B .
If you have the original doc's for the system it should list what voltage pack to use.
Many can use the double AA battery pack with 2 or 4 batteries to adjust to the correct voltage.

Another option is to replace the battery holder completely . Like the message above
You can get one from JD Micro. http://www.jdr.com/interact/item.asp?itemno=3V-MHW

Note the extra shipping cost for minimum order makes it expensive.
$1.49 Plus S/H

To install it you would need to remove the M/B and de-solder the old clip
Then install and resolder the two contacts on the back of the M/B

Fix4fun
03-09-2009, 09:56 PM
I can most certainly help you if you're a little handy with a soldering iron and a steak knife! To give anybody with little experience confidence i've never done this before until a few days ago and successfully did the transfer to the new mobo on the first try doing it very carefully using lots of patience. Order the new battery holder for your exact mobo (not expensive). If you can't find one buy a bad mobo of your same type/make with a good cmos battery holder which will be pretty cheap as well. Start by discharging all static from your body by touching something that is grounded or metal and do this (work inside your pc) in a NON CARPETED AREA. Get your soldering iron heating up then proceed removing your motherboard from the case frame. Remove all screws connecting your mobo to the frame and undo all cables making a note of where they ALL go if you will not remember in the future. Carefully remove your mobo and if you have a CMOS battery RIGGED on somehow REMOVE it. Turn your mobo upside down (circuit side up GREEN) onto a table in a WELL LIT area. Take your steak knife (don't know how well a butter knife will work so i suggest a skinny knife with a point) and slip it under the battery holder on the non circuit side (NOT GREEN) carefully as far as you can without forcing it in (You will use this to pry left and right while your heating the solder on the other side, prying not up and down but left and right). Hold your soldering iron vertical (up and down) using the nose (point) of the iron and reheat the solder for the two contacts on the mobo (green side circuit side up) holding the battery holder to the mobo. Using the knife PRY GENTLY WHILE YOUR HEATING THE SOLDER left and right on the knife handle until it comes up and out. KEEP A STEADY HAND and just be PATIENT while heating and reheating the solder, also a steady hand with the knife when prying. You do not want to chip the board or damage it, you may use a LITTLE force when prying. ALSO DO NOT scrape the green underside of the mobo or touch any area with the soldering iron but the two contacts. You could scrape the tiny gold circuits with the iron if you slip, if you scrape it against them, it will most likely be unable to complete the circuit to something else. Once it is off, put your new cmos battery holder on by lining up the two prongs to the board then reheat the solder on the back as you push them through from the front. You will be reheating the old solder to the new battery holder prongs. You can use new solder for a better hold but you don't need to, it will hold just fine and make the connection without new solder. If you bought an BAD mobo for your GOOD battery holder remove it with the steps above and follow on from there to replace it onto your new mobo!

So many people have taken the time to post about problems i've needed solutions to, so i've taken the time to post for you!

~Hope it works for you all who need it!

:D God Bless

mjc
03-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Nice advice...too bad the thread is 8+ yrs old...

Paul Komski
03-10-2009, 04:32 AM
Since this thread has now been "bumped" I can just say that I recently "fixed" just such a problem by gluing a circle (of plastic from a milk container cut to size) onto the battery holder to keep the battery in place.