Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Windows 98 and lost mouse

Unhappy Windows 98 and lost mouse

A few minutes ago I opened up my computer to install a network card. Now for some strange reason, Windows 98 does not detect a mouse which it did detect before I installed the network card. I have a 50 mhz computer, 12 gig hard drive, 32 meg of ram, blah, blah, blah, the usual. This is a long shot but is possible for the mouse and network card to have the same IRQ? The cable is on correct inside the computer so I don't think it's that. Could it be the cabling is worn out. Thanks for suggestions. I lokke forward to hearing from Paleo Pete!!!!!!

More than likely you are on the right track. I assume you have ISA slots and maybe one PCI slot? If you got extra slots try removing the NIC from the Device Manager is Safe Mode and reboot and re-install it in a diff slot. Network Interface Cards and Mouse(s)/Mice are IRQ troublesome in older pc's.

------------------
    Jerry

Blog Entries

Yep, bassvax is correct. You're on the right track. Check Device Manager, you should see a conflict there. Highlight Computer and click Properties and you'll see a list of IRQ's. I'll almost bet both are trying to use the same one. It will also tell you if you have a free IRQ.

bassvax already posted the same solution I would.

------------------
    My hairdresser charges me a finder's fee!!

Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email.

Computer Information Links
    Why do I drive way out here to see the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

Note: Please post your questions on the forums, not in my email. Otherwise I may sic my armed bear on you!

My Photography

Thread Information