Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: intermittant keyboard fault

intermittant keyboard fault

Has anyone had a problem where num, caps and scroll lock indicators all light up and no response from any keys? Pulling out and putting the cable back in sometimes fixes the problem but only after a number of tries which I don't like doing because eventually the connection will weaken and possibly break. The lock lights come on by themselves sometimes or from when the pc boots.

If a new keyboard is needed then fine, if its something up with pc then not so fine.

Thanks as always

lib319

I've had that problem with a USB keyboard I have. Changing to a different USB port solved it. I don't know what caused it.

If your plugging and unplugging the keyboard, I hope the computer is OFF! You may end up needing more than a keyboard!

First and formost.
    Unless you have a USB keyboard You should never unplug and replug it while the system is powered up.
    I hope you haven’t been doing this . It can and will burn out the keyboard controller chip

A number of things can cause the keyboard on a PS/2 type connector to fail.
    Including the Keyboard chip going bad.
    Faulty connectors in the socket
    Loose wires and or connections in the socket to the wires
    loose or bad connections in the keyboard
    The socket mount to the Mother board could be bad.

I’d start by trying another keyboard .
    When you plug it in make sure it is plugged in fully
    Look at the plug end. Make sure the plug and wires are not putting pressure on the socket
    ( Not pulling the socket to the sides or up/down)

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!
    If it is a PS/2 Keyboard and you don't have a spare for diagnostic purposes, I would suggest picking one up just to have around...The generic ones you can pick up for about $5.00 now.

Was curious if you might have a marginally sticking key that is causing this? I once had a situation where Windows would not load and gave me an "error loading device vkd." Yep, the k was for keyboard and I had a key that was sticking.
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

Thanks for all your replies, the saga continues.

OK, I got a new cheap kb and realised when i got home that I don't have a ps2 but an AT keyboard. As the connector inside the new keyboard matched my original I swapped cables so the new kb that came with a ps2 cable has now got my original AT cable attached.

Now the num, scroll and caps lights will flash on when the mouse is moved but still no resonse from the keys.

Although this is an improvment (in that there is some communication between kb and m'board) over the lights being on the whole time I wonder if changing the cables is now the problem ie. a ps2 connected kb will not work with an AT cable.

Also, are there any keyboards with this connection any more?

There should have been an adapter included with the keyboard to use it in an AT socket
    Also the wiring from one key board to another doesn’t always match exactly
    Especially when you go from one format to another

The ps/2 to AT adapters are also available at most computer outlets and electronics stores

The ps/2 to AT adapters are also available at most computer outlets and electronics stores
    I'd just check Rick's back left pocket... If you want mine, it's in the junk drawer (the 77th one of an infinite number of... )

I've yet to see a 'keyborg' that tag-teams with an 'adaptore' That would be a fierce team !?!

If the plugs/sockets match, and the conductivity matches between the 2 cords = All pin number's match (nothing crosses) it won't matter. Under $4 will get you an adapter preferrably $2.

Trust me, I'm from this school of thought.
    Last edited by Fruss Tray Ted; 09-02-2002 at 07:58 PM.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

By what I read it sounds like you opened the new keyboard and the old one.
    Then used the old cable on the new keyboard..

I repeat
    The wiring on one keyboard doesn’t always match the other.
    Adding this ( Internally )
    I’ve seen more than a few that have a 4 prong internal connector and when compared
    to the Other the wiring Pin for Pin wasn’t the same.
    The standard is at the AT/PS2 plug end
    Not internal..

My back left pocket is empty..
    I have even cleaned out the extra parts box of all AT/PS2 adapters
    Only one in the house and it’s so dusty I don’t know If I would dare using it
    Lets see what would the UK import duty be on something like that ??

Thanks for these replies. I got another ps2 kb and tried an adaptor which worked for a while until the keys and the mouse froze. So I guess this could still be either a connective problem considering the comments about adaptors and kb differences above, or a motherboard problem as the original fault happened with the original AT kb.

As the adaptor solution did work for a while is this pointing towards a m'board problem? or could a differently wired kb and an adaptor also work intermitantly?

If the kb chip is sick what are the options for repair? I would be excited about buying a new board and building up but also a bit disappointed as I have upgraded from a p 200 32mb ram into a quite nifty k6-2 400 64mb with cd rw and pretty decent video card. I thought my upgrading work was at an end so a repair to this board would be preferred.

Thanks again for your interest.

lib319

Keyboard Controller chips can be replaced
    But I suspect the Problem is with the Keyboard Plug socket.
    After a lot of use ( Plugging the Keyboard in and or removing it )
    The socket can come loose from the Mother board.
    In a few cases all you need do is re-soldier the contacts on the socket at the Mother board

K6-2 400 ? Maybe it is time to retire that M/B and upgrade..

Socket has moved slightly inwards with the pressure of plugging in the kb but still feels tight and secure, not secure enough you think? Will have another look at it when I get home from work.

Thanks for this

It doesn’t take all that much to break or loosen the contact on a PCB ( printer Circuit Board)
    Add the expansion from heat and Puff No Contact

Here's a thought, if I plug in a usb keyboard into my m/board shown here which lists 2 usb ports;

http://www.baber.com/baber/411/ga586t2.htm

would any issues like the keyboard controller chip being faulty in the AT socket be bypassed? or does a usb keyboard connect with this chip also?

In other words; will a usb kb solve all these problems?

This probably seems like a very stupid question but as you can see I am only a geek acolyte.

Unless the USB keyboard support is already turned on you will not be able to access the BIOS in order to turn it on, but it should (good chance) work in Windows....
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

I updated the bios recently, is there a good chance the latest version comes with usb support enabled or is this generally a specific instruction you give to the bios? And do I need this only for inputting dos commands?

Can windows supply a usb kb driver from a boot disk like you can enable a cd rom to work in dos?

To be honest I don't really know what a USB socket is, but if I can stick a keybord into it I'll be happy.

USB stands for Universal Serial Bus. Click here for anything you want to know about USB.

As to being on...no way of knowing if you can't get into BIOS. It has only been in the last year or two that they (motherboards) are coming with it turned on by default (for most of them...used to be very hit or miss).

And yes, mainly for DOS commands and for entering the BIOS. Since your board is an older one chances are that it is off....maybe even the USB ports themselves are turned off. Plus on older boards USB support was iffy at best.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Haven't added anything to this thread for a day or two but; I tried a pci card with usb ports but win98 se hangs every time I try to load the drivers, tried different slots but no joy, tried a new soundcard once and pretty much had the same problem...

So, I'm waiting for a connector and usb port from Action.com to fit to my m/board to which i will try to attach a kb.

Can anyone think of an alternative solution to this other than a new motherboard? Any ideas on replacing the kb controller?

Thanks for all your posts, a great help as always.

Sorry to bother everyone again with this thread but if this page is to be believed with my bios specs then I cannot have a USB keyboard attached to my m/board as it's support is disabled.

http://www.bea.hi-ho.ne.jp/thomma/bios5t2.html

Which makes things a tad difficult.

Is there a keyboard or similar input that can be attached to a serial or parallel port (or indeed any orafice on my motherboard) ?

Please help, I have no keyboard and I don't want to start a new post with 'how do I put this new motherboard into my computer'

Still waiting for the usb keybord to arrive but it looks a bit doomed.

Thanks for all replies

lib319

USB USB!

New kb worked and saved a lot of trouble finding alternative solutions or a new m/board.

Thanks as always to everyone who replied, very helpful as always

cheers

lib319

Thread Information