Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: disable system administrator

disable system administrator

HOpe I'm in the right Forum, Having problems with getting a modem to work in Win 98. windows says the modem is working properly but when I try to install a isp it won't connect and it says that I don't have access to this and must contact the system administrator. I'm the only one on this computer it is not networked.
    If I reformat and reinstall 98 will this get rid of the problem?

What are you exactly trying to do...install an ISP?

Using a setup disk provided by your ISP, setup AOL, what?

What is the exact error message?
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

re:disable system administrator

I was trying to install an isp (earthlink.net) when it gets to the part where it is going to connect I get a message that says the modem is not working to check the ports and try again.
    I check the modem and it says it is working properly but Telephony won't connect either. I tried putting another modem and got the same message. When I was messing around with the modem I got the message that I wasn't authorized to do that and needed to connect System Administrator.
    This is my nephews computer and I think the Windows 98 is first edition.
    Masufa

I doubt that reformatting would help. It sounds to me like you've got either a hardware or driver issue. Is this an internal modem? If so is it seated correctly? If it is...I'd remove the drivers and reinstall.

Hi,
    Check to see which port your modem is using and if any other device is using that port. You may want to do the following;

Remove the modem from the device mgr, and then turn off your computer. take the modem off and turn the computer on, turn it off again and put the modem back and turn on the computer and let the window install the modem again.

Sometimes it works.

RE: disable system administrator

Well I formatted the drive and reinstalled Win98 and bought a new modem and got the ISP up and running now all is working great.
    Thanks to all for your help. This is the best forum I've come across.

Masufa

Thread Information